Home ranges.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

Re: Home ranges.....

#21 Post by Plumose »

I was too late to edit, I was going to add that about the only thing I remember from trying at a different club a few years back was to put the "spare" hand in a back pocket to help keep balanced.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Site Supporter Since 2015

#22 Post by 1066 »

Plumose wrote:I was too late to edit, I was going to add that about the only thing I remember from trying at a different club a few years back was to put the "spare" hand in a back pocket to help keep balanced.
Ok, recoilless single stroke.

When your starting at 10m pistol (or it's 6 yard equivalent) except the fact that they are going to scatter all over the place - getting all ten on the scorings rings wouldn't be a bad start.
After a few goes it's tempting to go the easy route and use two hands (and some sort of optic sight).

Ideally you need a grip that is shaped to your hand so you hold the pistol exactly the same every time.

Although fashions change I was taught to find a natural aim - Grip the pistol and stand with your feet apart, stand like a sack of spuds, left hand in your left pocket or better still left thumb hooked on your belt by your pocket. Shut your eyes, and lift your pistol to about target height. When you open your eyes the pistol should be pointing straight at the target. - if not move your feet not twist your body and repeat as many times as necessary.

Once I'm planted and start to shoot, I never move my feet until finished.

Sighting for precision pistol is usually what is called a six o'clock hold, line the sights up well below the black, about mid-way between the black and the bottom of the card. The foresight should be in sharp focus, rear sight clear and target fuzzy.

Trigger squeeze directly in line with the barrel (imagine trying to drag the foresight back through the rear sight). Follow through after the shot. Don't hold on too long looking for the perfect shot.

This chap has a series of videos and teaches the same format and method I was taught back in the 1970's. Now many precision pistol shooters seem to use a much stiffer, side on stance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_r6lAIkDM
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com

#23 Post by 1066 »

Polchraine wrote:
1066 wrote:
And my rather mediocre mornings efforts. 10m, One hand, open sights. 1980's Walther CP2, Co2.(85,85,86,87)
Looks more like using a 28guage with a 16g of BB
I'd be lucky to hit the backboard with a shotgun of any sort. :)
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#24 Post by Plumose »

Thanks 1066
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#25 Post by FredB »

Back in the '70s my shooting was mostly .22 pistol. I folowed the trends, making and alterating custom grips and upgrading my pistol, finishing up with a Walther GSP which I still believe has never been bettered.
By the '80s, I was obsessed with classic pistol competitions, the old Police Pistol courses and Practical Pistol. When shootin classic events, the pistol had to be as issued, no special sights, nt special grips. To compete in all the events, you needed a lot of pistols, of differing calibres, lengths, weights and grip styles. Once used to the variety, I was surprised to find that the grip actually made no differrnce, with the possible exception of the rubber Pachmyer grips on my .45 auto.
Fred

#26 Post by 1066 »

FredB wrote:Back in the '70s my shooting was mostly .22 pistol. I folowed the trends, making and alterating custom grips and upgrading my pistol, finishing up with a Walther GSP which I still believe has never been bettered.
By the '80s, I was obsessed with classic pistol competitions, the old Police Pistol courses and Practical Pistol. When shootin classic events, the pistol had to be as issued, no special sights, nt special grips. To compete in all the events, you needed a lot of pistols, of differing calibres, lengths, weights and grip styles. Once used to the variety, I was surprised to find that the grip actually made no differrnce, with the possible exception of the rubber Pachmyer grips on my .45 auto.
Fred
More or less the same with me Fred - Prone rifle 60-70's Pistols 70-90's, NSRA, County and Reginal .22 and centrefire finishing with .22 Britarms and .32 Pardini (also a dabble in the more active shooting, PP1 & 2, pocket pistol, free pistol, muzzle loading etc. but never shot proper air pistol until recently though - now 70 with the shakes and watery eyes but still enjoy trying.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com

#27 Post by 1066 »

Analysis of the days shooting - 100 shots, 86.7 ave.
When I shoot I leave the first target of the day up and clip the others to it. It gives a good overall idea of where your grouping or where repetitive flyers are going.

This is 100 shots with 10 shots outside the 8, mostly high right. The main mass in the centre has almost wiped out the 9 ring but the tendency is just little high - you would have a job to see it with just a couple of cards. The target on the right was the last of the day - only scores a 92 but quite pleased to keep them all in the 9 ring. (If only I could eliminate those flyers :))

TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#28 Post by TattooedGun »

1066 wrote:Analysis of the days shooting - 100 shots, 86.7 ave.
When I shoot I leave the first target of the day up and clip the others to it. It gives a good overall idea of where your grouping or where repetitive flyers are going.

This is 100 shots with 10 shots outside the 8, mostly high right. The main mass in the centre has almost wiped out the 9 ring but the tendency is just little high - you would have a job to see it with just a couple of cards. The target on the right was the last of the day - only scores a 92 but quite pleased to keep them all in the 9 ring. (If only I could eliminate those flyers :))

Great tip!

In terms of Home Ranges... I think Thorney's home range would take some beating...! lol
RDC

#29 Post by RDC »

TattooedGun wrote:
1066 wrote:Analysis of the days shooting - 100 shots, 86.7 ave.

Great tip!

In terms of Home Ranges... I think Thorney's home range would take some beating...! lol
Agreed on both counts!
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#30 Post by Thorney »

Not sure I really qualify as a 'home range' somehow!

However to help a few people.

Air rifle - carpet hung up works best, you want to avoid any hard surface like concrete or metal that will cause bounce back, you'll know what I mean when it happens, you only do it once I can tell you. Even curtain works pretty well if you have a hard backstop behind as the pellet goes through but wont come back. Remember bounce back can be up a 60 degree angle so not too close windows.

For anything above air you will legally need police sign off on the land, shooting your .22 on your own 'range' could open you up to all kinds of legal issues as section 1 firearms need police land sign off, you licence may also only state for the sport of target shooting which can only take place at designated ranges so that rules it out 100% for home use. Check your ticket is the best advice.

Assuming you have all that then sand is the best backstop material, min 2m deep and 4.7m high as a minimum. Not an easy task really I'm afraid.