Home ranges.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Home ranges.....

#31 Post by 1066 »

Thorney wrote:Not sure I really qualify as a 'home range' somehow!

For anything above air you will legally need police sign off on the land, shooting your .22 on your own 'range' could open you up to all kinds of legal issues as section 1 firearms need police land sign off, you licence may also only state for the sport of target shooting which can only take place at designated ranges so that rules it out 100% for home use. Check your ticket is the best advice.

Are you saying that anyone with an open FAC who is doing something like urban fox control needs the every individual bit of land signed off?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#32 Post by Thorney »

1066 wrote:

For anything above air you will legally need police sign off on the land, shooting your .22 on your own 'range' could open you up to all kinds of legal issues as section 1 firearms need police land sign off, you licence may also only state for the sport of target shooting which can only take place at designated ranges so that rules it out 100% for home use. Check your ticket is the best advice.

Are you saying that anyone with an open FAC who is doing something like urban fox control needs the every individual bit of land signed off?
No, open ticket is different, thats 'open' ie not tied to specific land but the land that it is used has to be signed of for the calibre of shooting. Urban areas where the land cannot be signed off will be determined under the insurance of the pest controller (if pro) and a reasonableness test for amateur (ie not being paid for it). However it gets very grey area at this point so call the local plod for the county its in.

#33 Post by 1066 »

Thorney wrote:
1066 wrote:

No, open ticket is different, thats 'open' ie not tied to specific land but the land that it is used has to be signed of for the calibre of shooting. Urban areas where the land cannot be signed off will be determined under the insurance of the pest controller (if pro) and a reasonableness test for amateur (ie not being paid for it). However it gets very grey area at this point so call the local plod for the county its in.
I think it depends entirely what it says on your certificate.
If your conditions say something like "land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot", then yes you would need to check that the land was cleared for that calibre.
If on the other hand it says something like " any lawful quarry on land which the holder has lawful authority to shoot" the onus is on the certificate holder to determine if the land is suitable whether cleared by police or not.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Thorney

#34 Post by Thorney »

1066 wrote:
I think it depends entirely what it says on your certificate.
If your conditions say something like "land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot", then yes you would need to check that the land was cleared for that calibre.
If on the other hand it says something like " any lawful quarry on land which the holder has lawful authority to shoot" the onus is on the certificate holder to determine if the land is suitable whether cleared by police or not.
Correct, but it also depends on whether you are doing it professionally or not as it may well be your insurance that determines the level of liability they are willing to cover.

#35 Post by 1066 »

Individual membership of the NRA covers for vermin/field shooting. I'm sure BASC etc. also covers.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Thorney

#36 Post by Thorney »

1066 wrote:Individual membership of the NRA covers for vermin/field shooting. I'm sure BASC etc. also covers.
Possibly, but not sure if it would cover as part of a business, no idea.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#37 Post by Sim G »

1066 wrote:Individual membership of the NRA covers for vermin/field shooting. I'm sure BASC etc. also covers.

What level of insurance does the NRA provide with membership? Just had a quick look and I couldn't find anything.... any????
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!

#38 Post by 1066 »

Sim G wrote:

What level of insurance does the NRA provide with membership? Just had a quick look and I couldn't find anything.... any????
This is a note I sent to the NRA just 12 months ago. (Cover £10 million I believe)

Sir
I have a question concerning the insurance cover linked to my NRA membership.

Apart from the usual target shooting at Bisley and other ranges, I occasionally control the rabbits/squirrel/fox on a small plot of private land near my home. This is, of course, unpaid work and in accordance with the conditions on my FAC and with written permission of the land owner.

In the past, the NRA insurance was covered by Bannerman Rendell and their information leaflet specifically stated cover for vermin shooting, the current NRA leaflet concerning cover by Endsleigh does not specifically say vermin shooting is covered, just a rather vague "Field sports".

Could you please clarify this. Am I covered by my NRA insurance for occasional unpaid vermin shooting on private land or not.

Reply from Endsleigh insurance (for the NRA)

Good Afternoon

Providing you are an individual member of the NRA, yes I can confirm that this activity is insured.

Regards,

Mobile: 07738 311 681
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#39 Post by Plumose »

First go, think it ended up as 11 pellets.
One handed at about 5 meters
Attachments
IMG_20200408_183551.jpg
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#40 Post by millemigliadave »

My airguns have not seen so much use in ages... I am lucky to have 30 yards clear across the lawn from a gravel drying area (now my firing point!) with steeply rising ground as a natural backstop. I have also placed a wall of breeze blocks behind my targets just to be sure. My very old and tatty Theoben gas ram HW90 in .22 is pretty accurate for a break barrel - if I do my bit, I can keep ten shots under an inch at 30 yards (rested) and shooting some 1" and 1.5" spinners at that distance is fun albeit a bit repetitive. Youngest daughter is a sergeant in the ATC and likes shooting the rifle - prefers it to the L98A1 (SA80 cadet rifle) apparently!. I'm going to start practicing shooting the rifle sitting and standing as the next challenge. I've also got a Crossman 2240 pistol with a decent set of wood grips and a low power pistol scope on top which is pretty good out to 20 yards. Least satisfying air pistol is a Dan Wesson look alike that runs on co2, but which sadly just seems odd with no recoil. Between shooting these and reloading ready for when the ranges open again things aren't too bad.