Rifled shotgun barrels for slug - UK legal?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
EDP
Home club or Range: TWTSC

Rifled shotgun barrels for slug - UK legal?

#1 Post by EDP »

I thoroughly enjoy the Target Shotgun Slug events I've been able to join in with - after reading a bit and then watching some slug tests on pootube I'm interested to know if we're allowed rifled barrels on section 1 "firearm" shotguns? I'll give my FEO a shout, not sure if those chaps and ladies in my police firearms team are currently furloughed though, so thought I'd see if anyone on here knows for certain, one way or the other?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Rifled shotgun barrels for slug - UK legal?

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

If you put a rifled barrel on a shotgun it would no longer be a shotgun it would be a rifle, unless I'm missing something.

As Section 1 shotguns are either pump action or semi auto if you were to fit a rifled barrel it would become a Section 5 firearm, at least that's my understanding.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Moved to correct forum.

Future mis-posts will be removed.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Rarms
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Rarms »

snayperskaya wrote:If you put a rifled barrel on a shotgun it would no longer be a shotgun it would be a rifle, unless I'm missing something.

As Section 1 shotguns are either pump action or semi auto if you were to fit a rifled barrel it would become a Section 5 firearm, at least that's my understanding.
No reason a double barrelled or single barrelled break action or bolt action or martini action one couldn't be rifled and still be sec 1.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Sandgroper »

Rarms wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:As Section 1 shotguns are either pump action or semi auto if you were to fit a rifled barrel it would become a Section 5 firearm, at least that's my understanding.
No reason a double barrelled or single barrelled break action or bolt action or martini action one couldn't be rifled and still be sec 1.
Magazine capacity (or detachable mag) and barrel length broadly determine if a shotgun is S1 or S2. I had a S1 (18" barrel and detachable mag) 410 bolt action which was great fun, but as Snayperskaya says a rifled barrel on a S1 pump or semi would be a no no...
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
EDP
Home club or Range: TWTSC

#6 Post by EDP »

Thanks folks
Polchraine

#7 Post by Polchraine »

EDP wrote:I thoroughly enjoy the Target Shotgun Slug events I've been able to join in with - after reading a bit and then watching some slug tests on pootube I'm interested to know if we're allowed rifled barrels on section 1 "firearm" shotguns? I'll give my FEO a shout, not sure if those chaps and ladies in my police firearms team are currently furloughed though, so thought I'd see if anyone on here knows for certain, one way or the other?
You will get a very short answer if you call with a non-urgent question. Don't distract the few remaining ones from they main task of renewals.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#8 Post by Andy632 »

A friend used to have a H&H "Paradox" part rifles shotgun.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

We have a customer with a Paradox that gets used for Clays quite often :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
mowdy

#10 Post by mowdy »

Beretta make or used to ? a o/u shotgun with the bottom barrel rifled for slugs.
there are quite a few makes of sxs and o/u rifled shotguns for slug in Europe along with some single barreled guns and semi autos /pumps.
most are for Hunting and not target shooting though.
My Auto 5 smooth bore gives 3-4" groups at 50 m all day long .Good enough for hunting wild boar.
You can also get rifled screw in chokes for use on the Continent .