New Merseyside policy

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: New Merseyside policy

#31 Post by Blackstuff »

Seems like a terrific waste of police resources any way you cut it.

I certainly wouldn't be handing a firearm over to someone non-uniformed and in an unmarked car in the current circumstances.
DVC
shonep

#32 Post by shonep »

This could have been me. I moved, had to at short notice, and while in the new county waiting for my FAC transfer and club apps to be processed I told Mr Plod I had lodged the FB rifles at Fultons and kept the shotgun and 22 secure at my new address. Invited them to come and inspect the safe ASAP. Heard nothing. Both county police forces seemed relaxed about it. After a couple of months at the new place I collected the FB at the new address and immediately informed Mr Plod who visited shortly afterwards. Took a few months to sort out the paperwork but all good in the end. I guess they could have objected on a variety of technicalities. In the OP, if the story is true, I cant help wondering someone was pushing the limits.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#33 Post by hitchphil »

................... so did this actually happen to anybody? & the clause on Herts FAC is the same on my last 3 issues so over 15 years so to me nothing new.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#34 Post by HH1 »

I was a member of Aintree for 16 years, also a member of PSA for a similar length of time. Since then I have joined 5 other clubs (2 just for clay pigeon). So, when the "problems" arose at Aintree I was in the fortunate position to simply ask Cheshire Firearms Dept. to name one of these other clubs as the main designated club on my FAC. I know other people were struggling to find a new club.... one of my Cheshire clubs took on a considerable number of ex-Aintree members and it was nice to see old friends again in a different club room. However, I do know several people who have given up shooting because of the situation.

The "find another club or surrender your guns" seemed to be a Merseyside Police "thing"...... Cheshire have always been the better force when it comes to Firearms / Shooting Sports.

Prior to the Wuhan / Covid-19 virus lock-down, Aintree was still open, but the only shooting their members could do was either Archery or Airguns. No Firearms / Shotguns unless they also had full membership of some other Home Office Approved Club.

R.T. was due in court on the 2nd of April but this has been postponed due to Coronavirus situation.... Long term, who knows what the future of Aintree will be?
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#35 Post by hitchphil »

The NRA is a club - if you are a member then you are a member of a HO approved club & they have an online recording log for usage data - it does not matter if you use them locally or at Bisley & you get legal support for this issue via them if you ask for it too. So for £85 problem sorted vs what griff if this is even true?

Afraid much of this sounds OTT & as said nobody has said since my post 'yes its happened to me' so is it just the rumour mill making things look worse?.

Mail Georgina in membership they are still operating & the forms are on the NRA web too. Giftaid it & you get a little tax rebate too.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
MistAgain

#36 Post by MistAgain »

hitchphil wrote:
Afraid much of this sounds OTT & as said nobody has said since my post 'yes its happened to me' so is it just the rumour mill making things look worse?.

Ay best I probably know about 10% of the APC membership . In fact I probably know more members from another club that I do from APC .
Just about all the APC members I know have found other clubs . So they would not have been contacted by Merseyside Police .

As for all the other APC members ( or ex members ) who knows what clubs they have joined , or not joined .

The only way I would know if Merseyside Police were collecting firearms from other ex APC members is if one of them found a way to contact me , told me what was happening and asked if I still wanted to buy a 44 LBR that they owned .

The bottom line is that I believe my mate when he said he was told that Merseyside Police were collecting firearms from other people .

The only questions that remain are has Merseyside had second thoughts about collecting during the so called lockdown .
And had they finally realised that becoming a full member of a new club is not as easy as it sounds .