Combination Guns

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
GlockworkOrange
Home club or Range: Parkstone Gun Club

Combination Guns

#1 Post by GlockworkOrange »

As usual I'm sat here thinking about which guns I'm going to ask for on my next variation and came across a few combination guns that have really piqued my interest. The trouble is that I'm purely a target shooter, no open ticket. Essentially I'd be shooting the rifle barrel at my local clubs and the shotgun barrel would go unused. You'll probably wonder why I even want one this being the case. I've owned a variety of different guns with different configurations and operating mechanisms but never a combination gun, I just fancy one! I've seen some beautifully engineered old combination guns that just look fantastic.

My question is, would an FEO let me have one? Of course every force is likely to think differently, but does anyone have any experience of getting a combination gun in similar circumstances? What would be ideal is if the shotgun barrel could be used for clays, but I have a feeling they'd be reluctant to condition my FAC for that.

Thanks, any thoughts appreciated
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Combination Guns

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

We had a very similar discussion just this week. We have a lovely Savage Model 24 .22/.410 which belonged to a gamekeeper. It is one of those oddities that I would love to own but for what purpose? Other than walking the hedgerows it serves little practical use. You either need a .410 or a rim-fire but seldom both.

My view is go for it! Explain your reason for owning one and he will probably agree, after all it is target shooting so it is not as if you are going to inadvertently take a shot at a clay with a 9,374R instead of the 16 Bore!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
GlockworkOrange
Home club or Range: Parkstone Gun Club

#3 Post by GlockworkOrange »

Indeed, in fact I find that half the guns that really appeal to me are the ones that I have no real use for. Doesn't stop me wanting them though!

You're right, I should just ask, I suppose I'm just a bit worried about getting a name for myself asking for strange things. They were quite perplexed when I asked for 9mm Flobert CB/BB caps on my FAC lol
AL8

#4 Post by AL8 »

I am surprised they had any idea what a 9mm flobert was
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have a 6mm Flobert rifle.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper

#6 Post by Sandgroper »

GlockworkOrange wrote:
You're right, I should just ask, I suppose I'm just a bit worried about getting a name for myself asking for strange things...
Been there done that! I was confusing (and probably annoying) the local team so much that they asked me to stop requesting variations...I complied for about a month :twisted:

I've calmed down now and they no longer cringe (or was it cry) when I put a variation in. O:-)

BTW a Savage combination gun is something I'd really like...ideally a model 24C or V https://www.savageshooters.com/content. ... Variations
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.