Ranges closed again

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Ranges closed again

#11 Post by Sim G »

Alpha1 wrote:Your Club Secretary should be monitoring your frequency of use. You could all ways ask your Clubs Police Liason officer to ask the question of your local firearms department after all that's what he is there for.
Likewise, read the guidance.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#12 Post by shugie »

Alpha1 wrote:Your Club Secretary should be monitoring your frequency of use. You could all ways ask your Clubs Police Liason officer to ask the question of your local firearms department after all that's what he is there for.
I am our (very small) Club Secretary, and do record when people shoot, there are definitely going to be people who've not be able to use each firearm twice this year, me being one of them. When I enquired about this during my renewal, I was told that the licensing team will be taking restrictions due to covid into account. If the range is shut, you can't comply with the FAC conditions.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

Paragraph 13.53 of the Home Office Guidance to Police on Firearms Law states there will be times when frequency can't be met and that's not reason for revocation on the basis of not satisfying good reason. Again the same paragraph states three times a year and not twice...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#14 Post by Lancs Lad »

Sim G wrote:A mate asked his FEO about "frequency of use" and the FEO told him not to worry about it, given the circumstances. The current guidance backs this up.
Very sensible.

:flag13: LL
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#15 Post by Lever357 »

After running 4 very successful shoots at the MoD range at Ponteland just outside Newcastle, sticking to a max 30 people on site at any one time and sticking to Covid guidelines, we have been told the MoD are now sticking to the rule of 6. And yet I met a guy today who was shooting at Marne Clay Shooting club which is within Marne Barracks at Catterick - on MoD land!!!
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

Sim G wrote:
Likewise, read the guidance.
I am well-read when it comes to the guidance and on first name terms with my firearms licencing officer I am in Cleveland and they top the league in anything to do with firearms licencing my members have nothing to worry about. I have it all in hand.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

Lever357 wrote:After running 4 very successful shoots at the MoD range at Ponteland just outside Newcastle, sticking to a max 30 people on site at any one time and sticking to Covid guidelines, we have been told the MoD are now sticking to the rule of 6. And yet I met a guy today who was shooting at Marne Clay Shooting club which is within Marne Barracks at Catterick - on MoD land!!!
Landmark who run the ranges on behalf of the MOD have cancelled the ranges they control.
Barrack ranges can be different. I have booked Barrack ranges at Catterick. I dont book them through the normal booking office at Wathgill that operaes the Caterick ranges.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Blackstuff »

As long as its an organised shoot and a governing body (if applicable) has given the go ahead then the sport exemption exists for shooting. It also provides an exemption against the 'rule of 6' (max 30). Yet again Landmarc just making things up to make it difficult for civvie shooters 8-)
DVC