Backstops

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
bobcat
Home club or Range: Private Land

Backstops

#1 Post by bobcat »

Hi all,

I am very fortunate and live in a remote part of the country so I am able to shoot at home (FEO approved).

Question being I am thinking of making .22 range in one of the outbuildings outbuilding is made of wood and metal sheeting. ideally I would like to use concrete blocks with some cement.
However due to the state of the world and my bank account it rules that out. I was thinking about used tyres as I can get those free.
So wall of tires covered by old carpet.

Can anyone think of any other materials that would work on a limited budget.

Thanks all
CraigH
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

Re: Backstops

#2 Post by CraigH »

Do you need a friend to keep you company?
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#3 Post by TattooedGun »

Tyres are not the best material for a backstop, especially for .22lr. Bullets can penetrate meaning they go through your intended backstop, or in some cases they will ricochet off in all kinds of directions. Tyres are rubber with steel wire, so not absorbable materials.

The best thing imho would be a mount of dirt or sand with as little rocks as possible in it.
bobcat

#4 Post by bobcat »

CraigH wrote:Do you need a friend to keep you company?

Thanks for the offer Craig when this lockdown crap is over with I might let a few have a plink ;)
TattooedGun wrote:Tyres are not the best material for a backstop, especially for .22lr. Bullets can penetrate meaning they go through your intended backstop, or in some cases they will ricochet off in all kinds of directions. Tyres are rubber with steel wire, so not absorbable materials.

The best thing imho would be a mount of dirt or sand with as little rocks as possible in it.

The Ricochet is what I am afraid of. A mound of dirt be ideal but I would loose a lot of floor space as I would like whole wall and a few feet down the side it is around 10ft high and about 8 feet wide.
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#5 Post by TattooedGun »

As you have limited funds, why not start with a small shooting area, it would be much easier to make a small backstop for the time being and expand as funds allow.

Why do you need such a big backstop?

The easiest would be 1/4" mild steel angled so that the bullets all go down into the ground, but again, that wouldn't be cheap, but probably the way to maintain the biggest amount of floor space.

Perhaps Sandbags, stacked infront of the wall, keep some of the space, however you'd have to replace damaged bags the mroe you shoot. Could be an option?
bobcat

#6 Post by bobcat »

It is just for safety as I will be teaching my daughter to shoot and while I am could get away with a smaller area I feel more comfortable knowing the wholee back stop was safe.

Thanks or the sandbag idea I will have a look
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#7 Post by FredB »

Buried tyres can be used effectively to stabilise a sand back stop and maintain the appropriate angle of the stack.
Fred
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by Pippin89 »

I haven't built one before, so someone tell me if its a stupid idea....

My first thought would be to build 2 walls out of 1/4" ply and 2x4 studs. Bolt them to the ground a couple of feet apart (with some other supporting members to near by solid walls) and fill the gap with sand.
Couple of sheets of ply, some studding and a yard of sand... Could probably do the whole job for £150...
When the front sheet of ply is shot out, take it off and put a new sheet on. You might need a way of containing the sand when you take a sheet off but that shouldn't be difficult.
Chapuis

#9 Post by Chapuis »

Bobcat I think it would be a good idea for you to look up the H.O. guidance regarding teaching your daughter to shoot and the possible limitations regarding exemptions from the firearms act dependent on age and circumstances.
Also have a look at the MOD document on Range design criteria and specifications JSP 403 to give you some ideas about suitable backstops for your "indoor range". Shredded tyre actually makes a very good bullet catcher if used correctly but has certain limitations.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

Also check with the firearms certification department as making a range, especially for others to use, is different from having permission to shoot and zero on your own land.

The insurance implications of such an initiative should also be investigated as should the possible need for any planning involvement.

Be aware that firearms certification departments also monitor forums such as these.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/