Importing a gun for your own use

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Importing a un for your own use

#21 Post by Sim G »

Mattnall wrote: Yes, but it is not their job to fill in the FAC but to check what you have imported is allowed. The FAC should be filled in by the one doing the transfer (isn't it on the conditions of the FAC?), and if you bring one in (either carrying it or importing by post) then you should write on the FAC as you have transferred into the UK FAC system.
Yes it is their job. In these circumstances they are the final approval at point of entry, as stipulated by BIS, the authority for imports.

Actually, you are the one who should not write on your own certificate apart from signing it, or if transferring from another authority such as an RFD or as named on a club certificate. That's one of the reasons why police forces have failed in having reloaders enter what they have made o. Their FACs.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
walesdave

#22 Post by walesdave »

Chapuis wrote: You have a good point mag41uk but it is possible or at least was possible in my case.
I managed to persuade my firearms department to put a slot on my EFP for a rifle in a specified calibre yet to be acquired. I then emailed copies of my FAC, EFP and passport to the dealer in France so that they had all the information to hand to inform the local authorities when I arrived to pick up the rifle. Absolutely trouble free.
Even easier in Belgium, I was buying some .22rf ammunition in a gunshop when I showed the owner where my FAC said permission to aquire: .22rf Pistol and asked him if I could buy one of the many .22 pistols in his display case. Shrug of shoulders and answered 'Of course'. I guess it's the same thinking that lets you buy ammunition abroad even though ammunition isn't mentioned on the EFP?
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#23 Post by kennyc »

walesdave wrote:
Chapuis wrote: You have a good point mag41uk but it is possible or at least was possible in my case.
I managed to persuade my firearms department to put a slot on my EFP for a rifle in a specified calibre yet to be acquired. I then emailed copies of my FAC, EFP and passport to the dealer in France so that they had all the information to hand to inform the local authorities when I arrived to pick up the rifle. Absolutely trouble free.
Even easier in Belgium, I was buying some .22rf ammunition in a gunshop when I showed the owner where my FAC said permission to aquire: .22rf Pistol and asked him if I could buy one of the many .22 pistols in his display case. Shrug of shoulders and answered 'Of course'. I guess it's the same thinking that lets you buy ammunition abroad even though ammunition isn't mentioned on the EFP?
last year I tried to declare some ammo at the Eurotunnel Customs to be told that there was no need as it wasn't of interest to them.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Importing a gun for your own use

#24 Post by Mattnall »

Government Notice to Importers wrote: 21.If you are transferring a newly acquired firearm or shotgun into the UK from an EU country, you must obtain a transfer licence (irrespective of whether you are returning from a trip with the item or having it shipped to you). The transfer licence is issued by the relevant authority in the transferring Member State
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#25 Post by Sim G »

The transfer licence from the EU member state shows providence for taxation/duty/excise purposes. Authority for importation rests with the import licence status of your FAC, and the inclusion on that by the authorities at the point of entry....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#26 Post by snayperskaya »

I'll ask as no one else has.......what you thinking of buying?
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#27 Post by Mattnall »

Sim G wrote:The transfer licence from the EU member state shows providence for taxation/duty/excise purposes. Authority for importation rests with the import licence status of your FAC, and the inclusion on that by the authorities at the point of entry....
This is Info for the OP, I never said why a transfer license is required, I just quoted from the government website.
Government Notice to Importers wrote: 21.If you are transferring a newly acquired firearm or shotgun into the UK from an EU country, you must obtain a transfer licence (irrespective of whether you are returning from a trip with the item or having it shipped to you). The transfer licence is issued by the relevant authority in the transferring Member State
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.