Importing a gun for your own use

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

Importing a gun for your own use

#1 Post by Nelly2014 »

Does anyone know how to go about importing a UK legal gun from Europe? Poland specifically?
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

Re: Importing a un for your own use

#2 Post by Dellboy »

Nelly2014 wrote:Does anyone know how to go about importing a UK legal gun from Europe? Poland specifically?

what are you wanting to buy ? pm me if you want
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

You'd be surprised how easy! As long as the firearm is acquired legally in Poland, and transported legally across Europe, once at the juxtaposed UK border if driving, or the Red channel at the airport and declare the firearm as an importation to the U.K. You will need your FAC with the vacant slot and that acts as your import licence. UKBF will enter it on your ticket. Pay whatever duty/excise is due, bring it home. Inform the police within the usual 7 days.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Nelly2014

#4 Post by Nelly2014 »

Sim G wrote:You'd be surprised how easy! As long as the firearm is acquired legally in Poland, and transported legally across Europe, once at the juxtaposed UK border if driving, or the Red channel at the airport and declare the firearm as an importation to the U.K. You will need your FAC with the vacant slot and that acts as your import licence. UKBF will enter it on your ticket. Pay whatever duty/excise is due, bring it home. Inform the police within the usual 7 days.
Wow, that sounds so easy. Thanks
Nelly2014

#5 Post by Nelly2014 »

Dellboy wrote:
Nelly2014 wrote:Does anyone know how to go about importing a UK legal gun from Europe? Poland specifically?

what are you wanting to buy ? pm me if you want
Have pm'd
walesdave

#6 Post by walesdave »

If you driving yourself it's a doddle.

This is how it worked from Belgium, I guess it's the same in Poland.....I've not bought a gun there (Poland) but I have driven there with my own firearms with no issue.

Get a European Firearms Pass from your FEO. Go to foreign gunshop; show British FAC with permission to aquire whatever firearm you want, along with your EFP.

Shop sells you the gun, you put it in the car and drive to the Eurotunnel terminal, show FAC, EFP to the British Border Force chap who enters the details on your FAC or refuses to do so and says to do it yourself and notify your FEOs yourself (they really don't like dealing with legal firearms!).

Drive home, notify FEO of your new aquisition.

What was ineresting is that a Belgian gunshop was quite happy to sell me a .22 pistol based on by '.22 long barrel pistol' slot on my FAC so I thought to buy it, store it in Belgium but have it added to my UK FAC and EFP.....but decided against it as being a bit too dodgy wtf
Individual
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Individual »

Do it before January, because after that it won't be so easy.

"Directive 91/477/EEC provides for a specific authorisation procedure for the
movement of firearms from one Member State to another Member State. A detailed
description is set out in an annex to this notice.

After the end of the transition period, these rules no longer apply to movement of
firearms between the United Kingdom and the EU. Rather, the EU rules on import
and export of firearms (see below) apply. EU firearms pass issued to persons in the
United Kingdom is no longer valid in the EU."

Most of you voted for this...so happy days :flag13:
Chapuis

#8 Post by Chapuis »

walesdave wrote:If you driving yourself it's a doddle.

This is how it worked from Belgium, I guess it's the same in Poland.....I've not bought a gun there (Poland) but I have driven there with my own firearms with no issue.

Get a European Firearms Pass from your FEO. Go to foreign gunshop; show British FAC with permission to aquire whatever firearm you want, along with your EFP.

Shop sells you the gun, you put it in the car and drive to the Eurotunnel terminal, show FAC, EFP to the British Border Force chap who enters the details on your FAC or refuses to do so and says to do it yourself and notify your FEOs yourself (they really don't like dealing with legal firearms!).

Drive home, notify FEO of your new aquisition.

What was ineresting is that a Belgian gunshop was quite happy to sell me a .22 pistol based on by '.22 long barrel pistol' slot on my FAC so I thought to buy it, store it in Belgium but have it added to my UK FAC and EFP.....but decided against it as being a bit too dodgy wtf
Have done exactly this myself on a couple of occasions. However I think it may be too late for anyone not already having an EFP as my understanding is that forces stopped issuing them some time ago.
It was confirmed this morning that EFPs will cease to have any effect from the first of January 2021.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

You should either enter the details on your FAC yourself if you import it by post or you should get the seller to do it for you if you pick it up overseas (you could still do it yourself as you'll be the importer).

Customs are not the authority to sign imports on your FAC and I have been told by them that it is not their job to do that. If you personally bring the firearm in and don't fill out the FAC yourself, if they do it for you then good on them - but in what capacity are they doing it?
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Your local firearms team can also sign it onto your FAC if needed although they usually complain. Just one small point, your FAC is indeed your authority to import, however many European dealers would not export to the UK without sight of an Import Licence or Open Import Licence (OIL) prior to Brexit, even though it was technically invalid. Now, post Brexit (Yes it did happen) They are even less thrilled by the idea and are insisting on an OIL before they will apply for the local paperwork.

Any reasonable RFD who imports will have an OIL, either that or they are bringing things back in the boot of his car.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal