Different rules in Scotland or Police Scotland making it up?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
walesdave

Different rules in Scotland or Police Scotland making it up?

#1 Post by walesdave »

On the back of Practical shooters' post about Police Scotland I thought I'd have a poke about their website https://www.scotland.police.uk/about-us ... -shotguns/ - I'm meant to be working so anything to divert myself teanews

Anyway, I found this comment to be interesting....." a firearm or shotgun will be granted to an individual who is assessed by the Police as not posing a threat to public safety or the peace and having good reason to own the firearm or shotgun" especially the "good reason to own the [...] shotgun" bit.

As far as I know, only Sec1 needs a 'good reason' or are thing different in 'All air guns are evil' Scotland?
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Different rules in Scotland or Police Scotland making it

#2 Post by IainWR »

You need a good reason to own shotguns in general, but not a good reason for each shotgun. However, the "good reason" requirement for shotguns is so heavily qualified in law (I have heard because the politician that introduced it hadn't figured that without qualification he'd have to hand in daddy's Purdeys) that it might as well not exist.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

IainWR wrote:You need a good reason to own shotguns in general, but not a good reason for each shotgun.
I didn't think that was the case. From what I understood, anyone can own a shotgun. I'm sure someone said you could buy a shotgun, stick it in a cabinet and never shoot it... Of course in reality, FEO's would always want to know why you want one. Think someone on here said they told their FEO it was none of their business when they asked.
IainWR

#4 Post by IainWR »

Pippin89 wrote:
IainWR wrote:You need a good reason to own shotguns in general, but not a good reason for each shotgun.
I didn't think that was the case. From what I understood, anyone can own a shotgun. I'm sure someone said you could buy a shotgun, stick it in a cabinet and never shoot it... Of course in reality, FEO's would always want to know why you want one. Think someone on here said they told their FEO it was none of their business when they asked.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/28

See sub-sections 1A and 1B
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#5 Post by Andy632 »

IainWR wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/28

See sub-sections 1A and 1B
1b is crystal clear, isn't it!

[F1(1)Subject to subsection (1A) below, a shot gun certificate shall be granted or, as the case may be, renewed by the chief officer of police if he is satisfied that the applicant can be permitted to possess a shot gun without danger to the public safety or to the peace.
(1A)No such certificate shall be granted or renewed if the chief officer of police—
(a)has reason to believe that the applicant is prohibited by this Act from possessing a shot gun; or
(b)is satisfied that the applicant does not have a good reason for possessing, purchasing or acquiring one.
(1B)For the purposes of paragraph (b) of subsection (1A) above an applicant shall, in particular, be regarded as having a good reason if the gun is intended to be used for sporting or competition purposes or for shooting vermin; and an application shall not be refused by virtue of that paragraph merely because the applicant intends neither to use the gun himself nor to lend it for anyone else to use.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Pippin89

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

Andy632 beat me to it. You must have a valid reason but an application must not be refused if you don't have one...
IainWR

#7 Post by IainWR »

Pippin89 wrote:Andy632 beat me to it. You must have a valid reason but an application must not be refused if you don't have one...
Told you it might as well not exist ... :)
Pippin89

#8 Post by Pippin89 »

IainWR wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:Andy632 beat me to it. You must have a valid reason but an application must not be refused if you don't have one...
Told you it might as well not exist ... :)
That you did!