Just surrendered my 'weapons'.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

Re: Just surrendered my 'weapons'.....

#81 Post by Pinguino »

Thorney wrote:I wonder what the final bill for all this will be? A lot more than they claimed I reckon.
Will cerrtainly be worth a FOI request to gain that info and hold it up against the OWA costing. Remember that the costs did not include Lever Release as tnhey were sucked in later durign the consultation and with literally thousands of these rifles to be handed in and far more expensive than the MARS rifles, I wouldn't be surprised if the final bill is £millions more than expected. ****
A.J.P.

#82 Post by A.J.P. »

My compensation's just arrived. Weapons surrendered on January 19th.
Morph
Home club or Range: WRPC

#83 Post by Morph »

So I have been contacted regarding the surrender of my LR 9mm.
FEO (not one I have dealt with before) has advised my details have been passed on to armed police officers to collect the firearm & they will be in contact shortly.
Apparently i cannot claim for or hand over any ammunition to them & must make arrangements to dispose of it myself with an RFD.
I wont get a receipt at point of handover but will be provided with one in due course.

I take it South Staffs/West Midlands Firearms Licensing are making up their own rules again ?
I am quite certain that the argument you've already won in your head was entirely more satisfying to you than the one that is actually occurring.

Member of WR&PC,BASC & UBC
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

#84 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

I received the same email this afternoon.
Morph wrote:I wont get a receipt at point of handover but will be provided with one in due course
I queried this and have now been told that I can be given an incomplete Annex B (the receipt) from the compensation form but it won't have the HO reference on it. They will email that later once it's all been entered on their computer. That suits me because they initially said that they weren't going to give out receipts at all until I queried it.

I'm definitely getting a chit if someone is removing a firearm from my custody. teanews
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
A.J.P.

#85 Post by A.J.P. »

Morph wrote:So I have been contacted regarding the surrender of my LR 9mm.
Apparently i cannot claim for or hand over any ammunition to them & must make arrangements to dispose of it myself with an RFD.
You absolutely can claim for ammunition - if you have no other firearms on-ticket in the same calibre. Email the HO for clarification. Ammunition can be either hand loaded, or factory.
A.J.P.

#86 Post by A.J.P. »

I should clarify that the requirement to have no other firearms on-ticket in the same calibre, for the ammunition to be eligible, likely only applies to factory ammunition. Again, HO will be able to clarify if necessary.
toffe wrapper

#87 Post by toffe wrapper »

I can confirm if you want to maximise your profit for next purchase.
The HO will pay listed price on form for anything that matches description. All good auditors know never leave a box on a form blank.

I now have an AI AT with spare new barrel inbound at 0 cost option shakeshout
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#88 Post by bradaz11 »

daman wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please be informed that my spring-assisted knife (occasionally used for letter opening) has now had its spring removed and has been returned to the desk drawer where it has been for the past several years.

No need to panic, the world is a safer place now.

Best wishes

-daman
I would be very careful about this, remember these knives are now the equivalent of sec5 guns in the knife world, it is an absolute offence to possess one.In one email back and forth with HO about gravity knives etc, they said it depends how it was manufactured. so you can't mod a knife into a gravity knife in their eyes (ie its not just a case of no backspring in a folder) and so by extension, if it was manufactured as a assisted opener - henceforth referred to as a flick knife - then it would still be classed as that if someone were to ever find it and try to prosecute you for it. Another thing I asked was if I could just grind the edge flat, so it's not bladed, again, no. I was told it is still now classed as a flick knife.
just do yourself a favour, look up the knife online, get a price off a website, print it off and hand the thing in. I got £110 for my SOG AO knife, and £50 for a volcan corando. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE £20!
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
toffe wrapper

#89 Post by toffe wrapper »

S5 firearm rules are not same as they were first interpreted. At 1 point any part of S5 remained S5 even after removal, now in the main they just become parts. For a knife burden of proof in court would be. 1 is it a prohibited weapon 2 is it easily convertible to prohibited weapon. Doubt CPS would push a trial on those odds.
Add the fact that unlike firearms no records truly exist on construction of individual Knives assuming no serial numbers on said knives.
Its a none starter.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#90 Post by bradaz11 »

toffe wrapper wrote:S5 firearm rules are not same as they were first interpreted. At 1 point any part of S5 remained S5 even after removal, now in the main they just become parts. For a knife burden of proof in court would be. 1 is it a prohibited weapon 2 is it easily convertible to prohibited weapon. Doubt CPS would push a trial on those odds.
Add the fact that unlike firearms no records truly exist on construction of individual Knives assuming no serial numbers on said knives.
Its a none starter.
can you comfortably say it's a risk you'd like to take?? its only a case of handing it in and getting a few quid, then spending that back at Hiennie haynes or the like, to me I know which route I'd take.

Why risk it.

knives are described in the legislation and are now prohibited items. I will not be a test case. I don't have anything more to say on it.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns