Just surrendered my 'weapons'.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Just surrendered my 'weapons'.....

#41 Post by Blackstuff »

James048 wrote:
Mine went off on Friday but I wasn't allowed to claim for my ammunition as it is factory ammo/milsurp and my FEO said you could only claim for handloads adapted to your rifle. They took my rifle, 5 magazines, scope mount, red dot, 2 x stocks and a buffer tube and like you, I got a response from the Home Office a day later. The cheque is in the post and it was painless and they didn't question anything for me either.
Unfortunately there seems to be the misconception amongst a minority of FEO's/FLD's that they have any input into this whatsoever. The compensation scheme/hand in is a matter between the owners and the Home Office. The FEO's are being used as couriers/witnesses that all the things on the claim form are physically present and thats it.

Considering someone has had confirmation from the HO that just brass is acceptable to be handed in, i'd say you've been done. :bad:

I fully expect i'm in for an uphill struggle with my claim once I hand it in but i'm prepared to fight my corner.
DVC
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#42 Post by DanTheMan »

bradaz11 wrote:gun went through and everything was accepted. didn't hear from HO until monday, but it was surrendered fri afternoon, so not too bad. Just waiting on my cheque now.
and as I say, all for gun was accepted, even though the licensing manager who dealt with the claim kept telling me I needed reciepts, not print outs, HO were fine with it.
There have been loads of cases where the licensing dept are refusing to accept things like scopes & ammo but the decision is supposed to go to the Home Office who actually approve each claim depending on supporting documentation. It would appear the most straightforward process is to drop these at one of the nominated police stations who will take everything you drop off and let the HO decide. It's not down to the licensing dept to refuse an electronic sight where there is a box for that very item on the Home Office surrender paperwork. The Home Office are more than happy to accept printouts from websites to support non standard valuations although the standard valuations seem quite fair.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#43 Post by bradaz11 »

DanTheMan wrote:
bradaz11 wrote:gun went through and everything was accepted. didn't hear from HO until monday, but it was surrendered fri afternoon, so not too bad. Just waiting on my cheque now.
and as I say, all for gun was accepted, even though the licensing manager who dealt with the claim kept telling me I needed reciepts, not print outs, HO were fine with it.
There have been loads of cases where the licensing dept are refusing to accept things like scopes & ammo but the decision is supposed to go to the Home Office who actually approve each claim depending on supporting documentation. It would appear the most straightforward process is to drop these at one of the nominated police stations who will take everything you drop off and let the HO decide. It's not down to the licensing dept to refuse an electronic sight where there is a box for that very item on the Home Office surrender paperwork. The Home Office are more than happy to accept printouts from websites to support non standard valuations although the standard valuations seem quite fair.
yep, I'm in the choir, Rev Dan

he kept coming back to the printouts saying he thinks I needed reciepts, I kept telling him I've spoken to HO and they say it's fine. his response? 'oh well remember there are lots of ppl involved in this at the HO and whover is responding to emails isn't anything to do with okaying claims'
yeah ok then... basically saying the guys responding to us don't know what they are talking about, but of course he knows more than us.
my supporting documents were needed for suppressor, magpul magpulls, and speed loader. I just went to brownells for the pulls and loader, and found 2 websites selling my mod. the one time i'm happy that Brownells UK is pricey lol.
he was even trying to say I shouldn't bring the suppressor when we arranged the appointment, saying it could be used on other guns! what other 3/4unf .355" barrels are out there>? so I took it anyway.
I'm happy with my £4k for a rifle I haven't shot in 2 years and was getting ready to sell anyway. god knows I wouldn't have gotten that much for it!
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#44 Post by mr smith »

Received a reply back from the home office they have nothing with my name or receipt number their going to contact the police and I've given my feo a nudge.
JammyGuns

#45 Post by JammyGuns »

About 8 days for my cheque to come through after they took the rifle from my house. I believe my code came through the same day and I got an email from the HO a day later if memory serves. FEO was fine - casually inquired what I thought about the whole thing, about 15-20 mins in all to hand the forms and rifle over etc. Truth be told I got way more than I paid, and I've wanted a Rhino (9mm) much more for some time now anyway - so that's taken some of the sting out. But again it was still a huge downer despite all that to give it up and to know that I will never again be able to acquire one, nor will we ever see new models/innovations (always hoped for some sort of LR LBP) based on that function. Had a final fondle with it in the kitchen, took some last photos :bad: Yeah total bummer really. Can't imagine how much more it sucked for you guys that lost your handguns... I just hope I/we never have to go through this again, though that's probably very optimistic.
The Event

#46 Post by The Event »

JammyGuns wrote: nor will we ever see new models/innovations (always hoped for some sort of LR LBP) based on that function.
A lever release pistol could still be produced as the OWA was very specific in that it banned self ejecting rifles rather than firearms.
Though I doubt it's worth anyone trying to bring one out as it would be banned within seconds.
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#47 Post by mr smith »

mr smith wrote:Received a reply back from the home office they have nothing with my name or receipt number their going to contact the police and I've given my feo a nudge.
Just had an email confirming my claim and cheque will be in the post.
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#48 Post by poll007 »

Does anyone know if any examples of the lever release or mars action rifles have made their way into the hands of the royal armories or similar institutions?

I could certainly see them being the sort of thing being in a display or appearing in a forgotten weapons episode in a few years time and would be good background for things banned during the OWB.
BamBam

#49 Post by BamBam »

poll007 wrote:Does anyone know if any examples of the lever release or mars action rifles have made their way into the hands of the royal armories or similar institutions?

I could certainly see them being the sort of thing being in a display or appearing in a forgotten weapons episode in a few years time and would be good background for things banned during the OWB.
Doesn't look like it, but you can try a search here. https://collections.royalarmouries.org/#/objects
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#50 Post by 450 Martini »

It might be an idea to drop them a line by Email suggesting they keep a few for the collection. The Staff at the National Firearms Centre there are really passionate about firearms and some are shooters themselves outside of work.