Hidden Shooting Clubs

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Hidden Shooting Clubs

#21 Post by Blackstuff »

Most clubs have a natural capacity limit and often don't need to advertise to fill it. My local PSG club is bordering on capacity now without ever advertising and will likely have to start turning people away soon. :bad: The sign ups for the shoot this weekend (first one after the lock down) is looking to be a record and to the capacity limit we can safely operate at while everyone gets a decent amount of shooting done.
DVC
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#22 Post by Pippin89 »

Blackstuff wrote:Most clubs have a natural capacity limit and often don't need to advertise to fill it. My local PSG club is bordering on capacity now without ever advertising and will likely have to start turning people away soon. :bad: The sign ups for the shoot this weekend (first one after the lock down) is looking to be a record and to the capacity limit we can safely operate at while everyone gets a decent amount of shooting done.
Yes, according to the secretary, there is apparently a waiting a list to join which I have added myself to.
howa1500

#23 Post by howa1500 »

I find it almost impossible believe that a club could exist and the local shooter/s not know about.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#24 Post by daman »

howa1500 wrote:I find it almost impossible believe that a club could exist and the local shooter/s not know about.
My local club and indoor range is within 10 minutes walk from where I've lived for the last 20 years. I walked past it daily for nearly a decade, never knew, and only became aware of it when I tried to join another club that referred me.
howa1500

#25 Post by howa1500 »

Fair enough, I can understand an indoor range being "hidden". But a 100 yards range is another matter.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#26 Post by strangesam »

New shooters don't know where clubs are, its only recently many clubs have got the hang of the internet.

When I first started I found 2 clubs in my city via the internet (both with simple HTML 1.0 style websites). I now know as part of the shooting community that there are at least 5, plus another half dozen within an hours drive.

It took us several years of trying to get listed on the NRSA clubfinder website.
Rarms
Past Supporter

#27 Post by Rarms »

howa1500 wrote:Fair enough, I can understand an indoor range being "hidden". But a 100 yards range is another matter.
Not if it is in the middle of private land and only used 28 days a year