Prone discipline shooting problems

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Re: Prone discipline shooting problems

#11 Post by hitchphil »

If the club doesn't have anyone to coach you?? there is a full bore TR skills course at Bisley that goes thru all this. I help deliver it. LMRA etc have same.

Its impossible to coach sling, glove etc by comments via a forum post, without seeing the sling position, glove, length of gun, how the jacket stretches & takes the load etc its stabbing in the dark. i had one guy crippled after 5 shots moved his had 5mm further in - happy!

Do you use the rest position between shots? that might help build up stamina & the repeated rebuilding position may help define it better.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Prone discipline shooting problems

#12 Post by Pippin89 »

Ed_Thurley wrote:helpsign
So I'm having problems with shooting prone, and I've had them for a while. It doesn't seem anyone else suffers from this. I'm not really sure what to do. Perhaps someone here will??
Basically, I shoot jacket and sling, and I find invariably that the strap cuts off my arm's blood supply at my wrist and bicep. By the time I'm halfway through my shoot, I can't feel my arm and/or I get a strange feeling and I begin to lose control of the gun. My score then begins to plummet.
Does anyone have any suggestions/thoughts?
Thanks.
Definitely due to your set up. As others have said, the sling should come from the outside of your arm so it pulls from the back. Your club should have people available to help you with adjustments. If not, (I hope admin don't mind this) try asking on the Stirton forum. It is more focused on "bondage shooting" (proper TR) and there is a guy there called Tim who is a bloody wizz when it comes to all things sling shooting.