Police and Crimes Commissioner

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Police and Crimes Commissioner

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

So we had a PCC election yesterday and naturally I looked up anything I could on the candidates thoughts of civilian gun ownership and voted for the least objectionable one. But it got me thinking. How much influence does the PCC actually have on grants of FAC's and SGC's? I know they appoint the Chief of Police and they have the final say on grants and renewals etc. But do they actually have any influence on policies or day to day decisions that affect us?
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Police and Crimes Commissioner

#2 Post by Sim G »

No. They are another level of politics added to give the illusion of influence from the public. Frankly my local PCC is using the post to pave the way for a Westminster seat. And as you rightly say, their input into daily policing issues is minimal. Strategic input or contribution, perhaps. But sway over operational, no.

Now then, perhaps make Chief Constables the elected positions, now that would shake up the “Corridors of Doom”!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

And any complaint made to them is automatically bounced to which ever department is being complained about! Absolute waste of public money troutslapping
DVC
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#4 Post by channel12 »

Sim G wrote:No. They are another level of politics added to give the illusion of influence from the public.!
No, they replaced an existing level of local political oversight by Local Authority committees. Anybody with experience with dealing with committees would say they are not the most highly efficient decision making system of governance.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

LPAs came from borough or county councillors and appointed. Akin to a parish council, cross party political spectrum from the elected side. No payment, no “company cars”, no staff officers. A clerk and a admin budget.

Now a political party candidate, £90K salary, company car and a staff of 15. All the trappings to go with the illusion.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#6 Post by channel12 »

Sim G wrote:LPAs came from borough or county councillors and appointed. Akin to a parish council, cross party political spectrum from the elected side. No payment, no “company cars”, no staff officers. A clerk and a admin budget.

Now a political party candidate, £90K salary, company car and a staff of 15. All the trappings to go with the illusion.
So Councillors give their time for free, don't claim travelling expenses, committee reports and minutes write themselves ? And what about the Committee Clerk and the minute taker ?

Local Authority administration costs money, it's just that those costs were subsumed into the general budget and not easily identifiable.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

And your point is what? That the PCC isn’t a further level of political spin, but a far more worthwhile office than LPAs ensuring accountability and appropriate priorities for local policing issues controlled by the local population via a ballot?

Not in my experience...

MistAgain

#8 Post by MistAgain »

In 2018 the total cost of salaries for the 24 people who work in the office of Merseyside’s Police and Crime Commissioner is a fairly staggering £832,694.
Not included are the unpaid (?) interns , all labour party activists .
Also not included are the costs for the PCC's Office . Actually the 3rd set of offices that the PCC has occupied in the past 9 years .

The new PCC will be Emily Spurell , a hard Labour Councillor who has been collecting votes for the job during the past 18 months . She was the Deputy PCC on about £45,000 for a three day week .

The outgoing PCC , Jane Kennedy was 100% anti gun .
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#9 Post by Dark Skies »

I just see them as another bunch of politicians that fancy a position that may translate into a lucrative seat on a board for something or other and so voted accordingly. By that I mean I stayed at home and did something more worthwhile. Specifically, I tidied up and cleaned my forge and workshop.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Polchraine

#10 Post by Polchraine »

It was originally intended that PCCs were "NON-political" but it did not take long for the parties to jump in.

On a grammatical point: A commissioner is some one who commissions an activity - that is get someone to do something, with or without paying for it.

So, a Police Commissioner, arranges/pays/manages Police services ... and a Crime Commissioner would initiate crime!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.