20 minute of angle scope rail.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: 20 minute of angle scope rail.

#31 Post by Alpha1 »

1066 wrote:..Hmm. I would start from scratch. Is the rail inline with the receiver? If you loosen the rail screws, can you move the rail about a bit? If you place a straight edge along side the rail and measure the difference either side of the muzzle, are they the same? If you fit the scope rings butted up together on the rail, are they the same?

Are you happy the scope windage turret is working as it should. ie. have you got 60 moa in the other direction if you have reached the end of travel? Is there some sort of zero lock on you scope stopping you using some of the available range?

Usual practice is to mount the adjusting screws on the left but no fast rule unless they interfere with ejection or bolt action.

I would guess that the problem lies in the rail/rings rather than the scope it's self.
I had another go at mounting the scope and rings. I first took everything of the rifle. Checked the rail its fine. I refitted the inserts into the rings paying attention to detail. I refitted the rings to the rail and dropped the scope in I sat a level on the top of the scope and used a torque wrench to snug the rings up. I gave everything a good looking at. I set the rifle up on a bipod and fitted a collimator bore sighter. It took about eight or nine clicks on both the elevation and windage turrets to get it on centre. So I guess it was pilot error I can not of set it up properly last time. Any way I have a range to morrow well two actually so we will see how I get on. Weather permitting. Thanks guys for all your input.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#32 Post by 1066 »

Alpha1 wrote:
1066 wrote:..Hmm. I would start from scratch. Is the rail inline with the receiver? If you loosen the rail screws, can you move the rail about a bit? If you place a straight edge along side the rail and measure the difference either side of the muzzle, are they the same? If you fit the scope rings butted up together on the rail, are they the same?

Are you happy the scope windage turret is working as it should. ie. have you got 60 moa in the other direction if you have reached the end of travel? Is there some sort of zero lock on you scope stopping you using some of the available range?

Usual practice is to mount the adjusting screws on the left but no fast rule unless they interfere with ejection or bolt action.

I would guess that the problem lies in the rail/rings rather than the scope it's self.
I had another go at mounting the scope and rings. I first took everything of the rifle. Checked the rail its fine. I refitted the inserts into the rings paying attention to detail. I refitted the rings to the rail and dropped the scope in I sat a level on the top of the scope and used a torque wrench to snug the rings up. I gave everything a good looking at. I set the rifle up on a bipod and fitted a collimator bore sighter. It took about eight or nine clicks on both the elevation and windage turrets to get it on centre. So I guess it was pilot error I can not of set it up properly last time. Any way I have a range to morrow well two actually so we will see how I get on. Weather permitting. Thanks guys for all your input.
Not at Bisley tomorrow are you? I'm there for a 1,000yd bang.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1

#33 Post by Alpha1 »

No I have never been to Bisley. Its about a 6 hour drive for me and a overnight stay at 70 years old I don't suppose I ever will.
I have two local ranges running tomorrow 100 yards in the morning and 300 yards in the afternoon. Which is about average for us in the North East 600 yards may be if a range is available. Any longer distances we normally travel to Gardeners Guns in Scotland.

But I have 60 shooters over two ranges slinging lead to morrow so I am happy with that.
Alpha1

#34 Post by Alpha1 »

I ended up doing RCO so didn't get to fire a shot I also got extremely wet. The guys persevered until 15:00 hours then threw the towel in.
All in all a crap day soggy sandwiches. I didn't zip my bag up properly paperwork wet etc etc. It just went on and on a horrible day.

#35 Post by 1066 »

That's a bummer, just a couple of shots to show you're on the right track would have been useful. I arrived at Bisley, after a two hour drive just as the rain was easing up, managed to get a couple of shoots in before the heavens opened up at lunchtime so then called it a day - three hour drive home.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1

#36 Post by Alpha1 »

Up date I finally got to shoot it. It must of been the way I set it up first time out this time I was on target straight out of the box. It took 20 rounds to zero it at 100 yards the last shot fired went through the middle of the bull.

#37 Post by 1066 »

Alpha1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:00 pm Up date I finally got to shoot it. It must of been the way I set it up first time out this time I was on target straight out of the box. It took 20 rounds to zero it at 100 yards the last shot fired went through the middle of the bull.
Well done... Need a bit of practice now on zeroing a scope.. Three or four shots should do the job.

I shot this little video with my phone for a shooting mate - It's now had nearly 1.5 million views (and earned enough for a new rifle)

https://youtu.be/qwD5zu7yTeI
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1

#38 Post by Alpha1 »

Interesting thanks.