20 minute of angle scope rail.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: 20 minute of angle scope rail.

#21 Post by Alpha1 »

1066 wrote:Keep us posted. And just as an aside - If you zero it at 100 yards you will need to come up 13-14 minutes for 600 yards. So if you make a tall target to shoot at 100 yards and you will next be shooting at 600 yards, you would need your bullet to strike 14-15 inches high on the 100 yd target. This should get you well on the target at 600 yards first shot.
Thanks I appreciate the help.
Like I said this is a complete new ball game for me. Not sure I should be getting into this at my age but we will see how it goes.
Alpha1

#22 Post by Alpha1 »

Got the Burris rings I just need to fit them I can add another 10 minutes of angle on top of the 20 minutes built into the rail Is that to much will I still be able to zero at 100 yards.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by 1066 »

Possibly - It depends on all things being accurate in the first place. If you had a flat rail on your rifle and your scope set at optical zero you would have, in theory 32.5 moa adjustment up and down, however things are never quite so easy. With your rail already at 20moa and another 10moa with the insert your 100yd zero will be very near the extreme of your adjustment. I would go for the 5moa insert and give it a try. Remember, the the thicker insert needs to be raising the rear of the scope up a little more.

When you get to the range have a play with your scope from a 100yd zero just see how much actual adjustment you have and if the minute markings and click values are correct. with careful measurement, known velocity and known BC of your bullet and the aid of a ballistic app on your phone you will get a fair idea of where they will go further down range. One moa is 1.047" at 100yds.

Here's a rough "tall target" I used to see if I would have enough adjustment in my scope to shoot the .22lr long range competition at Bisley last month (200/300yds)
From the target I could see I would be ok for 200yds but run out of elevation before 300 yds - From there on it was necessary to use the internal hash marks on the reticle to get to 300 yds. Using this target I was able to get the first shots comfortably on the target at both 200 and 300 yards.

Starting from the 25 yard zero, each bullet hole is one full turn of the turret.

As you can see from the target, there's a lot of elevation adjustment wasted, a 20moa rail would have done the job perfectly.

TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1

#24 Post by Alpha1 »

I fitted the rings I added the lowest Minute of angle(moa) which was +5moa so with the rails 20moa I guess I have 25moa.
I tried zeroing it to day at 100 yards it was a total disaster I just can not get comfortable with the rifle. I fitted a rear bag rider I think its coming off I can not get away with it at all. I am going to try a rear monopod. At the moment I am not getting on with my Ruger precision I shoot it but I can not get comfortable with it. I find my self reverting back to my Steyr SSG that just works.
I will perceiver but at the moment its not working for me. The Lee Enfield N04 did better with Parker Hale iron sights.
Alpha1

#25 Post by Alpha1 »

I had another go at zeroing at 100 yards today. I was OK with elevation but I ran out of windage addjustment I can not move the scope point of aim to the right it wound as far as it will go. Any ideas on whats going on.

I dont like the Rugers stock the rear cheek piece and length of pull adjustet are not to my liking. I will look for a replacement I think mag pull do one.

#26 Post by 1066 »

It could be barrel not in line with receiver, mounting rail not in line or rings not in line. The Burris rings with the inserts don't necessarily need to be just up/down to increase elevation - turning them round 60 degrees, 2 o'clock/8 o'clock will give you elevation and extra windage.

First trick I would try is just turn one of the rings round and see if that helps. - Get a good long straight edge along the receiver and see if you can see where the problem is.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1

#27 Post by Alpha1 »

If I turn them around 60 degrees wont that alter the extra 5 minutes of angle they are set up for. All though I ran out of windage adjustment I was able to destroy a 2" metal spinner at 100 yards. That was fun. lol

#28 Post by 1066 »

Alpha1 wrote:If I turn them around 60 degrees wont that alter the extra 5 minutes of angle they are set up for. All though I ran out of windage adjustment I was able to destroy a 2" metal spinner at 100 yards. That was fun. lol
If you've run out of windage - that's 30 moa or nearly a yard off at 100 yards. I would have thought that amount would of error would be visible. If it's something that can't be easily fixed/re-arranged, maybe something like the receiver is drilled and tapped out of line, then you could replace the 5moa insert with a 10moa insert and rotate it 60 degrees so you would still have elevation and windage.

However, giving yourself another 5moa of windage to get on the target may get you shooting in the short term but it's not the answer - there is something not lined up correctly. An experienced scope user should be able to spot the problem and, I would guess, could easily be fixed. 5 shot 1" groups at 100 yds should be fairly consistently obtainable with your set-up once you have overcome the teething problems.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1

#29 Post by Alpha1 »

I have taken the scope off the rifle. I can not see anything obvious as to why it should run out of windage. The holding down screws were not very tight I must of forgot to torque them down. But the scope has not moved no sign of creep. I put a level on the scope before removing it it was canted ever so slightly to the left but only a midges.
Is there a right and a wrong way to mount a scope does it matter which side you tighten up to the rail I have the allan bolt heads on the left.
I will leave it off for now and have a look at it over the weekend. I have acquired another couple of 30mm scopes I might try one of them on it and see how that pans out.

#30 Post by 1066 »

..Hmm. I would start from scratch. Is the rail inline with the receiver? If you loosen the rail screws, can you move the rail about a bit? If you place a straight edge along side the rail and measure the difference either side of the muzzle, are they the same? If you fit the scope rings butted up together on the rail, are they the same?

Are you happy the scope windage turret is working as it should. ie. have you got 60 moa in the other direction if you have reached the end of travel? Is there some sort of zero lock on you scope stopping you using some of the available range?

Usual practice is to mount the adjusting screws on the left but no fast rule unless they interfere with ejection or bolt action.

I would guess that the problem lies in the rail/rings rather than the scope it's self.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com