Manufactuing a firearm as an FAC holder (without RFD)

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Manufactuing a firearm as an FAC holder (without RFD)

#21 Post by Mattnall »

1066 wrote:
dromia wrote:Proof is just a money making scam by thieving monopolists and in no meaningful way guarantees the safety of a firearm.
I think a perfect example of this is when they started stamping proof marks on the muzzle of rifles.
But the rules say the marks of proof should be as close to the receiver as possible. wtf
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
MistAgain

#22 Post by MistAgain »

Mattnall wrote:
1066 wrote:
dromia wrote:Proof is just a money making scam by thieving monopolists and in no meaningful way guarantees the safety of a firearm.
I think a perfect example of this is when they started stamping proof marks on the muzzle of rifles.
But the rules say the marks of proof should be as close to the receiver as possible. wtf
They are stamping the muzzle end , so that if you want it to be threaded , you have to have it reproofed because you have removed the proofmark while cutting the thread .
Mattnall

#23 Post by Mattnall »

MistAgain wrote:
Mattnall wrote:
1066 wrote:
They are stamping the muzzle end , so that if you want it to be threaded , you have to have it reproofed because you have removed the proofmark while cutting the thread .
I'm fully aware of what they are doing and why, but I believe it goes against their own rules.
When the vast majority of the Proof Act concerns money and the control of the money it does make me wonder if safety is not the Number One Priority.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
PeterN

#24 Post by PeterN »

The proof house doesn't always mark the correct calibre. My Siamese Mauser has the calibre engraved as '8x57 SIAM'. It should read '8x52 SIAM'. They did hide the proof mark on the barrel under the top hand guard though.
I agree that proof is over-rated these days. Most of the world seems to get by with out a proof house, without blowing themselves up with dodgy guns. I think that proof can actually make a gun less safe. An old gun may be quite happy using standard pressure loads, but could be made weaker if subject to an over pressure proof load and subsequently fail later on when it would not have done if left alone. A bit like an old chap quite happily pottering about and going for steady walks, being given a fitness test by making him do a hundred yard sprint uphill. His ticker would cope quite happily with normal activity but could fail if subject to sudden unnecessary over stress. In the days of guns being made in blacksmiths forges, proof was probably a good idea to identify faulty work, but in modern factory production I don't think it is required beyond what the manufacturer does.
Regards
Peter.
Chapuis

#25 Post by Chapuis »

I've seen a couple of examples where the proof house have marked the wrong cartridge chambering and one where they marked the wrong calibre. Just plain carelessness on their part. I've also seen when they corrected it by just crossing out the wrong markings, very annoying when the gunsmith has taken great care to get the finish just right in the first place.
Mattnall

#26 Post by Mattnall »

[quote="Chapuis"I've also seen when they corrected it by just crossing out the wrong markings, very annoying when the gunsmith has taken great care to get the finish just right in the first place.[/quote]
Have you ever seen the marks on some of the older Enfields after a refits, returns to the factory and other general movements?

Chapuis

#27 Post by Chapuis »

Mattnall wrote:[quote="Chapuis"I've also seen when they corrected it by just crossing out the wrong markings, very annoying when the gunsmith has taken great care to get the finish just right in the first place.
Have you ever seen the marks on some of the older Enfields after a refits, returns to the factory and other general movements?[/quote]

Yes I have but those were on military weapons and not sporting arms which were some one's pride and joy. In any case collectors of military weapons often appreciate the various markings as they provide a history of the firearm.
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#28 Post by waterford103 »

PeterN wrote:The proof house doesn't always mark the correct calibre. My Siamese Mauser has the calibre engraved as '8x57 SIAM'. It should read '8x52 SIAM'. They did hide the proof mark on the barrel under the top hand guard though.
I agree that proof is over-rated these days. Most of the world seems to get by with out a proof house, without blowing themselves up with dodgy guns. I think that proof can actually make a gun less safe. An old gun may be quite happy using standard pressure loads, but could be made weaker if subject to an over pressure proof load and subsequently fail later on when it would not have done if left alone. A bit like an old chap quite happily pottering about and going for steady walks, being given a fitness test by making him do a hundred yard sprint uphill. His ticker would cope quite happily with normal activity but could fail if subject to sudden unnecessary over stress. In the days of guns being made in blacksmiths forges, proof was probably a good idea to identify faulty work, but in modern factory production I don't think it is required beyond what the manufacturer does.
Regards
Peter.
Agree entirely , however the correlation btween blacksith and overenthusiastic amatuer makes me think that "proof" should at least include a thorough inspection by a gunsmith.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Mattnall

#29 Post by Mattnall »

waterford103 wrote:]
Agree entirely , however the correlation btween blacksith and overenthusiastic amatuer makes me think that "proof" should at least include a thorough inspection by a gunsmith.
Some of the practices I've seen in the Proof House would scare many safety concious shooters.
It has been neither scientific nor repeatable at times but I understand they are now trying at least make it repeatable.

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#30 Post by bradaz11 »

this is why my sec7 pistol in 356TSW that needs proof before it can be sold to me, is going to be proofed as a standard 9mm powder load in a 21.5mm long case, not the full power load for the actual cartridge. I don't need my rare gun exploding at their pleasure.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns