Manufactuing a firearm as an FAC holder (without RFD)

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Manufactuing a firearm as an FAC holder (without RFD)

#51 Post by Sim G »

poll007 wrote:.

Que phone call from my FEO (who i get on with quite well). In short he had never been asked this question and so asked his colleagues who came to the conclusion that i wouldn't be able to do so as i am not an RFD. he did however say that whilst he cant find anything specific in the legislation he is happy for me to send him over anything i find so he can take it to his bosses to look at.

The reason your FEO and his colleagues think it can't be done is due simply to them overthinking the question and projecting their own unconscious bias to the issue. In short, they hold the belief that you shouldn't be able to do it, so you shouldn't be able to because s999 of the Firearms Act doesn't say "poll007 can make a rifle." They're wrong, and the reason is so very simple.

S3(1)(a)of the Firearms Act 1968 states; "A person commits an offence if, by way of trade or business, he—

(a)manufactures, sells, transfers, repairs, tests or proves any firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of this Act applies, or a shot gun;

Et al.

without being registered under this Act as a firearms dealer.

You cannot manufacture a firearm "by way of trade or business" without being an RFD. A firearms dealer is clarified in s57(4) of the same Act, "by way of trade or business" and this is reiterated in Paragraph 16.2 of the Home Office Guidance to Police on Firearms Law 2016.

There is nothing in any of the Acts that prohibits a private individual from manufacturing his own firearm for "hobby, interest, academic study, or plain just because". What the law does state and is again interpreted in s57 of the Principal Act, is what firearm or part there of, requires a certificate.

And I'm afraid that is it. Your good reason is there, because you want to exercise your own skill. You require variations for each of those parts that are regarded as a firearm, barrel, bolt etc, but what you will also need is a variation for the final item. This is all done via FAC as "private" so to speak.

You will acquire/make each controlled item, which should then be entered on your FAC. (By yourself if Dept happy for that, or they do it by adding it to your computer based record rather than the actual ticket.) Once you have all your parts acquired/prepared, assemble them all into the finished item and inform the police that effectively you have "disposed" of the parts, but "acquired" the rifle.

As stated above, "Proof" will come when the rifle is sold, exchanged or exported, or pawned or pledged. Or when "offered" as such. There is no lawful requirement for that to happen before any of the above. Indeed, you may have to have it proved as a condition of your insurance to use, but there is no legislative requirement.

As opposed to asking for the opinion of the dept, you just need to remind them of how the law works and what it actually says.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#52 Post by poll007 »

I completely agree with everything you've said Sim G.

Unfortunately it seems the force armourer it the go to authority for what is the law and his word is final (and I am not allowed to speak to him nor will he answer any queries I have).

As such I am now looking to find someone else of equal or higher authority to get something in writing. At the moment I'm hoping to either get something from the proofing house or find a FEO in another force who will be happy to put something in writing that I can use.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#53 Post by Sim G »

Ask the question here;

public.enquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk

Take about a week to 10 days to get the answer.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#54 Post by poll007 »

Sim G wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:50 pm Ask the question here;

public.enquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk

Take about a week to 10 days to get the answer.
Thanks SimG.
Somehow i completely missed that email address when trying to find a way to contact the home office.