Ear Protection

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Ear Protection

#21 Post by Blackstuff »

hitchphil wrote:
IMHO - They are not worth their premium price vs more cost effective Howards etc
Until you stand out in the rain more than once. Or what to hear anyone else near someone shooting that is.... lol

But I agree, the cost difference isn't proportionate to the additional circuity/waterproofing to justify the price tag. :bad:
DVC
andrew375

#22 Post by andrew375 »

I get by with what I've been using for decades, plain old Bilsom muffs (presently mod.2452) from the local diy store. They keep all the loud and high frequency noises out but I can still hear conversations and range commands. No worries about them breaking down or batteries packing up.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Sonofsammo

#23 Post by Sonofsammo »

rocketdogbert wrote:
Sonofsammo wrote:Thanks a lot for all the input - I've gone with the sporttac, as they're only a little over budget and seem to fit the bill. I got them from Amazon, so if after I've tried them out they don't fit the bill, I'll return them and try something else.
Have you used them yet? I only have cheapies for clays (as you know), something better might be nice

John R
They're not bad, all things considered. They certainly make conversations a great deal easier, but are no better at blocking out the sound of shots.
So they make it easier to hear the RO, but they don't do everything I wanted em to...
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#24 Post by kennyc »

I have used Sportacs for the last couple of years, they have withstood abuse without breaking, torrential rain and tropical heat, they have been used with rifles (with and without brakes) handguns (inside and out) shotguns and have been comfortable with all the above, they dont cut out when a shot is fired, unlike some I have had and , and battery life has been very good.
I have just taken delivery of some Caldwell Shadows in ear jobbies, I will see how they perform in the less demanding areas, as they also double as bluetooth speakers and phone headset, they wont replace the sportacs but I do like multiple use items :D
fortpacew

#25 Post by fortpacew »

I use Peltor Comtac XPI - fantastic, active ear protection yet very expensive. If somebody is looking for more budget-friendly option I can recommend Peltor X4, which I found recently. I'm amazed how well they mute the noise/sound, provided they are not as thick as e.g. Peltor Bull's Eye. I use them also when doing some carpentry work :) and they are far better than any other I tried before.

For some really noisy trainings (e.g. rifles with muzzle break suppressor) I use both Alpine's earplugs (e.g. MusicSafe or WorkSafe - they are much much easier to put into an ear than any foam based and are reusable) plus Peltor Comtac XPI.