Ear Protection

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sonofsammo

Ear Protection

#1 Post by Sonofsammo »

I'm currently using a pair of 3M Peltor Optime II.
They're comfortable enough, but I struggle to hear people talking with them on.
They don't seem to be massively effective on the outdoor range either, when peeps next to me are shooting the larger calibres.
So I'm after suggestions, preferably ones that won't break the bank (under £100 if possible), but ones that will do a better job than what I have at the moment.
thankssign
BamBam

Re: Ear Protection

#2 Post by BamBam »

Amazon has these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honeywell-Howa ... 073QZ7Q1T/

Been using mine for many years can still hear!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Ears are really important, I use MSA Sordin Pro-X for the range and 3M Peltor 5XA for the workshop
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sonofsammo

#4 Post by Sonofsammo »

Ovenpaa wrote:Ears are really important, I use MSA Sordin Pro-X for the range
Holy moly! They look awesome but a little (a lot!) out of my price range :cry:
Rockhopper

#5 Post by Rockhopper »

Ex Army Peltors. I don’t really need to hear people talking when I’m rifle shooting. I have some electronic custom fit guards for clay shooting though.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#6 Post by 20series »

Peltor Sportacc, available online at just over the £100 but are excellent.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#7 Post by DaveB »

I use the 3M Tactical 500 ear defenders. Great for having friendly discussions at the club, whole blocking gunshot noise. Also Bluetooth so you can pair them with your phone or iPod.
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#8 Post by Les »

plus1 for the Howard Leight ear defenders. They do the job without breaking the bank. :good:
Blackstuff

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

I use MSA Sordin Pro X and they are excellent. My only complaint is the can get really uncomfortable when worn all day. I've got the headband and neckband versions with the neckband being the more comfortable of the two. I normally try to find 5 mins every two hours or so just to get them off and give my ears a rest.

Those Howard Leighs are great for the money and are the most comfortable defenders i've ever worn. Theyre not without problems though as they aren't waterproof (i've killed 3 pairs like that) and the way they fold up puts a lot of stress on the cabling which inevitably breaks/stops working (i killed 2 pairs this way!). The microphone tech in them is fairly basic too, just completely cutting out when the sound limit is passed so trying to listen to someone talking while near a firing point is like having a conversation with a weak signalled mobile phone and its not directional like higher end defenders.

Those were the reasons i switched to the Sordins, which came in at about the same price as all the HL's i'd bought over the years! Buy 6 times, cry 5 times! 8-) lol
DVC
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#10 Post by strangesam »

I use 3M PELTOR ProTac III, which are electronic and around £70. I can hear people fine when they are on, (unless people are actively shooting, in which case the microphones cut out)..

They are a bit big (I'm used to it), but peltor make a slimmer pair which are 26dB (vs 32dB for the big ones).

I double up using earplugs if I'm shooting indoors with noisy things (fullbore), but can turn up the volume and still hear people talking.

The industrial Peltor tend to be cheaper than the 'shooters' Peltor, the only difference I can see is colour and where you buy them.

If you wear glasses I recommend spending £45 or so on a HY80 Gel Hygene kit, which replaces the foam ear cushions, and is much more comfortable.