Ear Protection

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Ear Protection

#11 Post by Pippin89 »

I use Custom Fit Guards blocks for smallbore where I dont want to hear anything and Passive valve type ones for clays where I want to chat. I also use the passive valve ones on the fullbore range when I'm behind the point and chatting and then double up with some cheap over ears when I am shooting. The plugs would be enough but I want a bit more isolation when I am shooting.
The blocks were about £70 and the passive valves were about £100 including them coming to my house to take impressions.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#12 Post by TattooedGun »

plus1 for the MSA Sordin-x.

Your hearing is important, when it's gone, it's gone.

MSA with the gel inserts are very comfortable - most of my shooting these days is done with safety specs, or my own glasses - these are comfortable with either of these on and because of the compression of sound rather than the all out muting that some cheaper ears provide, you can hold a conversation even whilst there is shooting going on.

Pricey, but worth it, IMHO.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#13 Post by ukrifleman »

I use MSA Sordin's and find them highly efficient in damping down gunshots whilst still being able to hold a conversation.
The other plus points are that they are comfortable and they stay in place when shooting either rifles or shotguns.
ukrifleman
Christel
Site Admin

#14 Post by Christel »

Related to the OP.
We were just talking about hearing protection. My Sordins needs a service and last time when Ovenpaa's needed a service we sent them here:

https://www.talkingheadsets.co.uk/service-centre/

Good service.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#15 Post by Dark Skies »

I got a pair of Howard Leight Leightning LOF Earmuffs - 23 bucks at Cabelas a few years back.
Had a hearing test recently - perfect hearing. I can just about hear frequencies in the 14,000 Hz range too. I guess they're good enough.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sonofsammo

#16 Post by Sonofsammo »

Thanks a lot for all the input - I've gone with the sporttac, as they're only a little over budget and seem to fit the bill. I got them from Amazon, so if after I've tried them out they don't fit the bill, I'll return them and try something else.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#17 Post by hitchphil »

There is nothing inside MSA/Peltor/Sordin to justify their price 9infact looking inside i cant see a difference in those brands!)- the electronics are simple (mic, band pass filter, amp, speaker & psu/battery) the amplification slight & the microphones/speakers generic. There is £20 of electronics in them at best. they are a value added brand name designed to extract maximum revenue form Joe Public nothing more.

Anyone got an oscilloscope? link them up & input a sound (whistle or generated signal) & you will find the output waveform is almost exactly the same to the speaker.

Mine (MSA) were scratchy sound & occasionally cut out - i found that was due to the really p*** poor build quality inside - spiky solder joints & steel copper coated wires, poorly trimmed with excessive stripped insulation etc! (right up there with the best of Bodged in China) i replaced the wires from the battery to the electronics with fine multi stranded copper & soldered them properly with PbSnAg solder & a light flux. The difference was notable! then the same to the speakers & across the head band & it improved even more, i recon if i re-soldered the pcb it would improve more.

IMHO - They are not worth their premium price vs more cost effective Howards etc
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#18 Post by Pippin89 »

hitchphil wrote:There is nothing inside MSA/Peltor/Sordin to justify their price 9infact looking inside i cant see a difference in those brands!)- the electronics are simple (mic, band pass filter, amp, speaker & psu/battery) the amplification slight & the microphones/speakers generic. There is £20 of electronics in them at best. they are a value added brand name designed to extract maximum revenue form Joe Public nothing more.

Anyone got an oscilloscope? link them up & input a sound (whistle or generated signal) & you will find the output waveform is almost exactly the same to the speaker.

Mine (MSA) were scratchy sound & occasionally cut out - i found that was due to the really p*** poor build quality inside - spiky solder joints & steel copper coated wires, poorly trimmed with excessive stripped insulation etc! (right up there with the best of Bodged in China) i replaced the wires from the battery to the electronics with fine multi stranded copper & soldered them properly with PbSnAg solder & a light flux. The difference was notable! then the same to the speakers & across the head band & it improved even more, i recon if i re-soldered the pcb it would improve more.

IMHO - They are not worth their premium price vs more cost effective Howards etc
To be honest that is the same with almost any mass produced electronics. Someone sat on a production line churning out 50 solder joints a minute is always going to have sloppy work. Someone with moderate solder skills can almost always improve on it just by taking their time to make proper joints. This is a large part of the reason why audiophiles love the boutique, hand wired, low production volume amplifiers. They haven't been rushed.
rocketdogbert

#19 Post by rocketdogbert »

Sonofsammo wrote:Thanks a lot for all the input - I've gone with the sporttac, as they're only a little over budget and seem to fit the bill. I got them from Amazon, so if after I've tried them out they don't fit the bill, I'll return them and try something else.
Have you used them yet? I only have cheapies for clays (as you know), something better might be nice

John R
Sonofsammo

#20 Post by Sonofsammo »

rocketdogbert wrote:
Sonofsammo wrote:Thanks a lot for all the input - I've gone with the sporttac, as they're only a little over budget and seem to fit the bill. I got them from Amazon, so if after I've tried them out they don't fit the bill, I'll return them and try something else.
Have you used them yet? I only have cheapies for clays (as you know), something better might be nice

Not had chance yet.
Will be testing them out on Saturday, so I'll let you know then!

John R