Sharing firearms on an FAC

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sfwh

Sharing firearms on an FAC

#1 Post by Sfwh »

I have heard of a few people who have shared ownership of firearms on the FAC's. This is something I hope to do with my Girlfriend. We both live together and have FAC's already. It feels a bit ridiculous to have separate half-empty safes next to each other that we can't share and now she wants to shoot S.1 Shotgun and LBP and it would seem silly for her to get them when I'm more than happy to share.

Has anyone done this and how was it? From what I've heard the process can differ from force to force. I think my FEO is unfamiliar with the process so I am hoping someone can point me to the piece of legislation that talks about this as I can't find it.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Sharing firearms on an FAC

#2 Post by Christel »

There isn't any, it is entirely down to your local force if they will allow it.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by bnz41 »

We have had shared certificates for 15 years out of the 20 we have had FAC's. It made it a lot easier if a firearm needed taking in for repair or if one of us was working the other could take what they wanted to the range.

As christel has said some forces don't like doing it Essex were Ok. If your force wont allow it and girlfriend wants a long barrel pistol you can't use it.
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Some forces will allow a condition where both have access to the guns, others mirror the FAC. Others say no.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#5 Post by TattooedGun »

Between my wife and I, it is worded that:

The holder of this certificate may have access to the firearms owned by [Wife] holder of [Firearm Certificate details] for storage purposes only.

If she wants to use them she must get a variation for each firearm she wishes to use. This makes storage easier, but not if we want to nip off to the range with each others rifles, however, that hasn't really happened since she only shoots a couple and they're listed on both certificates.

This is in West Midlands - I must admit, it would be nicer if it was for possession and use, rather than just storage, but it suits our needs for now.
Pete
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Pete »

My partner and I have had all our rifles/spare barrels on both certs for some years now.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
IainWR

#7 Post by IainWR »

We have a condition on each certificate that the holder may also possess the firearms listed on the other certificate. Previously, in a different force area, we had mirrored certificates.

If a condition is that the certificates permit access to the other for storage only, then if it's a rifle, as soon as it's out of the cabinet you invoke S15 F(A)A 88 to use it. Doesn't work for LBRs/LBPs or S1 shotguns.

There is no legal bar to a firearm, in theory, appearing on as many certificates as one wants. And the NFLMIS computer won't say NO. As has been said already, it's down to what the Licensing Manager will accept.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

We had this condition taken away from both of us after we moved to Lincolnshire and we are not allowed to have shared access to firearms either. So my wife (Servant of the company/RFD) is obviously not to be trusted to have access to my firearms and I, as an RFD, cannot be trusted to have access to hers.

Go figure.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dave_303

#9 Post by dave_303 »

Avon and Somerset are really chilled with this and reasonable. I share some firearms with my father - though at different addresses. We simple inform them the firearm is shared. The fact we do not share storage and are I. Separate addresses may influence the ease of this though.
Chapuis

#10 Post by Chapuis »

Ovenpaa wrote:We had this condition taken away from both of us after we moved to Lincolnshire and we are not allowed to have shared access to firearms either. So my wife (Servant of the company/RFD) is obviously not to be trusted to have access to my firearms and I, as an RFD, cannot be trusted to have access to hers.

Go figure.
That's absolutely ludicrous.
It's fairly common to share firearms within families and friends, and they don't even have to live in the same household or even the same county. One friend living in Somerset shared firearms with his son living in Hampshire while another friend of mine shared his with two daughters who lived a hundred miles or so apart.