The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. PLEASE SEE POST IN NEWS ABOUT GDPR.
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

Post subject: Wet weather starter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:43 pm 
Site Supporter Since 2015

Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah
Hope this helps anyone new to 'foul weather shooting'!
As one who is used to shooting on Bodmin Moor which must have all the rain God can send on any one range day!...........
Scopes - use washing up bottles to make rain shades and secure with rubber bands. TR foresights need some protection especially if Eagle Eyes are used.
Rifles - keep ammo dry, cover chamber/sights with chamois or microfibre cloths. Wood stocks can be taped around the stock /action area to stop water ingress. Use a rubber band on the barrel to act as a drip stop to prevent water running back the underside of the barrel to the bedding.
Yourself - there is nothing worse than lying in a pool of water on a waterproof mat! Wear wader type overtrousers. Rain around 'that' area can lower your score quicker than anything!
When you get home let everything dry slowly. Take rifle out of stock to dry for few hours but replace to avoid any chance of warping (I've never seen that) If you use a glove try to make sure it is dry. If it's damp next time it's like putting wet swimming trunks on!
Have fun sorting, you can't have a dry run at this!!!!!
JohnG
Ovenpaa, The eye is most sensitive to yellow light. Yellow lenses give increased contrast by cutting out blue light, so the black often appears more distinct, particularly in poor conditions. My suggestion is don't use in sunshine as sunspecs. Make sure they're polycarb - just for safety's sake.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Wet weather starter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:46 pm 
Thanks for that John!

:good:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:59 pm 

johngarnett wrote:
As one who is used to shooting on Bodmin Moor which must have all the rain God can send on any one range day!...........
Scopes - use washing up bottles to make rain shades and secure with rubber bands. TR foresights need some protection especially if Eagle Eyes are used.
Rifles - keep ammo dry, cover chamber/sights with chamois or microfibre cloths. Wood stocks can be taped around the stock /action area to stop water ingress. Use a rubber band on the barrel to act as a drip stop to prevent water running back the underside of the barrel to the bedding.
Yourself - there is nothing worse than lying in a pool of water on a waterproof mat! Wear wader type overtrousers. Rain around 'that' area can lower your score quicker than anything!
When you get home let everything dry slowly. Take rifle out of stock to dry for few hours but replace to avoid any chance of warping (I've never seen that) If you use a glove try to make sure it is dry. If it's damp next time it's like putting wet swimming trunks on!
JohnG
Ovenpaa, The eye is most sensitive to yellow light. Yellow lenses give increased contrast by cutting out blue light, so the black often appears more distinct, particularly in poor conditions. My suggestion is don't use in sunshine as sunspecs. Make sure they're polycarb - just for safety's sake.

Wished I'd had that advice when I was tramping around for deer, knew I was doing something wrong coming back p----d wet through every time it rained. :good:

Regards

Phil*

Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:58 am 

johngarnett wrote:
JohnG

BODMIN MOOR....Lovely place a minature version of Dartmoor, Yet is equaly matched in both Danger and outstanding beauty!! neither Moor to be taken for granted in good or bad weather Conditions...I like the suggestion of the rubber band...nice one.....

John do you shoot with the Tamar RANGERS at Millpool??

Cede Nullis (Yield to None)
Kernow Bys Vyken (Cornwall for ever)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:28 am 
Building on the use of rubber bands and foul weather, I can remember my Bro coming back from the South Coast in the 60s on his T100a getting feet totally soaked thru.

My Dad also a biker gave him the tips about keeping dry even in a downfall by stepping into plastic bags with elastic bands, with warm socks underneath and serious boots on top.

:clap:

Attachments:
mercury.jpg
mercury.jpg [ 175.74 KiB | Viewed 8317 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:42 am 
Site Supporter Since 2015

Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah
Barney57,
Yes, Bodmin and Dartmoor are great places.Both to be respected. For me Millpool is good in any weather - just prepare yourself!
I shoot with Cornwall Rifle Club at Millpool. We are the 'backsides and bootsole' gang, (TR). I have shot alongside Tamar and South Hams in the past. As I keep saying, never mind the specific disciplines - we are all shooters.
And you?
JohnG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:57 am 

There is only one sure way to keep yourself and your kit dry.

Stay home!

:cheers:

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:06 pm 

I watched an amazing documentary about the Chindits last night - It was on 'yesterday', and is well worth a watch if they show it again...

I don't want to trivialise the endevours of those men...but it did strike me just how much mud and rain an SMLE can take....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:36 am 

I expect some guys during 14 - 18 found that out too!

:flag13:

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:34 pm 
The more I see of the 14-18 the more I realise what an awful war that was.

:cry: