Proof house visit

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Keithkilvo1
Home club or Range: ARPC

Proof house visit

#1 Post by Keithkilvo1 »

Looking at getting a rifle proofed and would like to get it done sooner rather than later, I’ve been told 8-12 week if I send through my RFD.
Another suggestion was to take it into the London proof house and they could/ would do it while I wait.
Has anyone done the same or can offer any other advise regarding this? I will be ringing them tomorrow as well for more info.CHEERS
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Proof house visit

#2 Post by Pete »

I've heard of this......let us know how you get on?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
rox

#3 Post by rox »

Keithkilvo1 wrote:Another suggestion was to take it into the London proof house and they could/ would do it while I wait.
Has anyone done the same or can offer any other advise regarding this? I will be ringing them tomorrow as well for more info.CHEERS
I seem to remember that this was not available a few weeks ago, and if I recall correctly it was suspended at the start of the pandemic. Best to call - post an update when you get a definitive answer.

bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by bnz41 »

Last I heard it was only RFD's were allowed to visit London Proof House and have firearms proofed while they waited. The info was from a RFD who took a firearm of mine to be proofed, last week.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#5 Post by Mattnall »

I've done it on many an occasion at London. We used to be able to go down in to the workshop to help out when we had a few uppers and barrels to fit to donor bits but I think that may have changed recently.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Chapuis

#6 Post by Chapuis »

bnz41 wrote:Last I heard it was only RFD's were allowed to visit London Proof House and have firearms proofed while they waited. The info was from a RFD who took a firearm of mine to be proofed, last week.
Not London but Birmingham and I don't know if things have changed but I have in the past taken guns into the proof house and waited while they were done. I'm not a RFD.
Blighty

#7 Post by Blighty »

Dropped off a rifle at the Birmingham proof house last year. Ready a couple of weeks later. Not what you are looking for but I’ll bet that the fuel costs will be less than RFD costs.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

Blighty wrote:Dropped off a rifle at the Birmingham proof house last year. Ready a couple of weeks later. Not what you are looking for but I’ll bet that the fuel costs will be less than RFD costs.
I think I remember the one ;) lol
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
James84

#9 Post by James84 »

I had a barrel in for proof that came back in March. They didn't offer 'while you wait' due to the backlog they were dealing with (this is with Birmingham) but maybe that has changed now? The lady at Birmingham who I spoke to was very helpful. Worth a call?