Co terminus certificates.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Co terminus certificates.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Not sure I am spelling it correctly I have a question about co terminus certificates.
I have had a firearm cert for many years but never had a shot gun cert. So this time on renewall I asked for both so they will run together. No problems so far?. Cleveland my licencing authority have a limit of 12 firearms they will let you have unless you install a monitored alarm. If you do install the monitored alarm they will incresse your slots.
I have been told if I aquire a shot gun I will have to loose one of my 12 slots for each shot gun I acquire.
I thought a shot gun cert was seperate and not part of your firearms slots.

Oh and to night I decided to check the cerificates and make sure I got what I asked for. I have a 308/7.62 bolt action on my ticket including serial number that definatelly does not belong to me.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Co terminus certificates.

#2 Post by GeeRam »

Alpha1 wrote:Cleveland my licencing authority have a limit of 12 firearms they will let you have unless you install a monitored alarm. If you do install the monitored alarm they will incresse your slots.
I have been told if I aquire a shot gun I will have to loose one of my 12 slots for each shot gun I acquire.
Its the number of 'guns', regardless of whether on FAC and/or SGC combined.

I think most forces adopt the same philosophy, only the number varies.

For my force the number is 10 (of any type) before they insist on a monitored alarm.

Friends force is 12 as well, and they needed monitored alarm as husband and wife, each with a co-terminus FAC/SGC, so combined total of all their rifles and shotguns put them over the 12.
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

GeeRam wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:Cleveland my licencing authority have a limit of 12 firearms they will let you have unless you install a monitored alarm. If you do install the monitored alarm they will incresse your slots.
Its the number of 'guns', regardless of whether on FAC and/or SGC combined.

I think most forces adopt the same philosophy, only the number varies.

For my force the number is 10 (of any type) before they insist on a monitored alarm.

Friends force is 12 as well, and they needed monitored alarm as husband and wife, each with a co-terminus FAC/SGC, so combined total of all their rifles and shotguns put them over the 12.
I had not realized that was the case. Its going to be a while before I acquire a shot gun then if I acquire one at all.
Rockhopper

#4 Post by Rockhopper »

Monitored as far as Derbyshire are concerned just means it’s linked to your phone somehow.
Jimminy234

#5 Post by Jimminy234 »

That’s something I hadn’t thought about, I went for a co terminus and I was also under the impression you could buy as many shotguns as you wanted (not that I was expecting to buy many).
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

If I had known before I applied I probably would not have asked for the Shot gun certificate. But I have got it now so its up to me whether I use it or not I guess.

What is more worrying is this 308/7.62 Rifle I am supposed to have in my possession. I guess I need to ring them on Monday and sort it out. Cleveland to be fair are really good to deal with. There turn around time for renewals is brilliant I received a phone call two days after filling in my renewal application informing me they had processed the certificates and were just waiting for a reply from my Doctors before popping it in the post. So all sorted and my old certificate was not due to run out until August.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

My FAC is up for renewal in a couple of years and I will go co-terminus then, if only to save myself GBP60.00 for the additional medical from that point. I also have no plans to give up my SGC, in fact I cannot imagine life without being able to head out on a cold winters morning with a dog, a gun and a pocket full of cartridges. It is known as an 'Armed walk' in this house.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

Just a note, one can go coterminous when the FAC is up for renewal, not when the SGC is.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Ovenpaa wrote:My FAC is up for renewal in a couple of years and I will go co-terminus then, if only to save myself GBP60.00 for the additional medical from that point. I also have no plans to give up my SGC, in fact I cannot imagine life without being able to head out on a cold winters morning with a dog, a gun and a pocket full of cartridges. It is known as an 'Armed walk' in this house.
I didn't have a medical the licencing department said they would contact my Doctor and request the information required there was no charge for a medical.
I only paid the certificate renewal cost.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#10 Post by Mattnall »

Ovenpaa wrote:My FAC is up for renewal in a couple of years and I will go co-terminus then, if only to save myself GBP60.00 for the additional medical from that point. I also have no plans to give up my SGC, in fact I cannot imagine life without being able to head out on a cold winters morning with a dog, a gun and a pocket full of cartridges. It is known as an 'Armed walk' in this house.
Had my FAC/SGC renewed at the end of last year with a medical report (only £20 :good: ), the RFD is up later this year and apparently the report for the previous renewal will last for the 5 years until the next FAC renewal so I don't need one for the RFD.

However the medical is not a requirement for the RFD but Herts/Beds/Cambs would have insisted on one if I hadn't already got one for the current FAC/SGC.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.