FAC to buy powder

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

FAC to buy powder

#1 Post by 20series »

Ok peeps

Did I miss the change in the law that you now need to show tour FAC to buy powder???

Obviously it's been the rule for primers for several years but I called into my local RFD to get a tub of Vit150 for Debs 308 load and had to walk back to the car for my ticket... they did say it changed in May.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: FAC to buy powder

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Not as far as I am aware. My local gun shop dosnt ask for a certificate.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by bnz41 »

One of the trade shows at Bisley in 2019 I was asked for a Certificate to buy powder, can't remember the dealer. They took the details of my certificate address etc.
rox

#4 Post by rox »

20series wrote:Did I miss the change in the law that you now need to show tour FAC to buy powder???
It is your FAC which qualifies you for exemption from explosives licensing for shooter's powder, so you do need a FAC, albeit indirectly. I forget whether it applies to aquire or possess or both. Having said that, this has been the case for years, so not aware what has changed since May.
20series

#5 Post by 20series »

Ok well it's not a problem I always have niene in the car, just a new one on me.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#6 Post by DaveB »

Here in NZ we have never had to show our licence to buy powder, but recently the Police have demanded shops not only sight, but record details of any sales of such things - to be retained for 10 years. Every day in every way things are getting tighter here for shooters.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

I have never had to show a firearm certificate to purchase powder. Primers yes powder no.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#8 Post by DaveB »

Here in NZ you even have to do it for projectiles now.
20series

#9 Post by 20series »

DaveB wrote:Here in NZ you even have to do it for projectiles now.
DaveB

Oh sounds like you guys are getting it worse thsn us... as I said I don't mind but it's just a new o e on me.

Alan
rox

#10 Post by rox »

Alpha1 wrote:I have never had to show a firearm certificate to purchase powder. Primers yes powder no.
Have you bought powder since May? That would be conclusive proof that the law hasn't changed.