Guntrader leak

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
RDC

Re: Guntrader leak

#141 Post by RDC »

Christel wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:30 am Diplomatic approach? Either that or just plain stupid.
More than likely trying to downplay the seriousness, like they have been doing since the leak appeared.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#142 Post by Blackstuff »

Pippin89 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:46 pm
The bit of it that made me laugh was:
Because we believe that people would not want to commit a criminal offence in using the data, we consider it unlikely to occur.
They have obviously never dealt with Hunt sabs / animal right activists before! The law is the last thing on their mind.
I can only assume that former the Iraqi Information minister 'Comical Ali' now works for Guntrader....
RDC wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:28 am
Christel wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:30 am Diplomatic approach? Either that or just plain stupid.
More than likely trying to downplay the seriousness, like they have been doing since the leak appeared.
Yep, and no mention of 'proper' criminals having access to the data now. I couldn't care less about Tarquin and Co, people like that would stand out like a sore thumb around my way (they usually want to in any location to be fair), its serious people would would use serious violence to obtain guns that worries me.
DVC
Hunter87

#143 Post by Hunter87 »

Has anyone on here decided to take legal action against guntrader?
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#144 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

Hunter87 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:43 am Has anyone on here decided to take legal action against guntrader?
I think GT is as much a victim of this business as us.

I will certainly join any action against those who have wilfully broken the law by publishing the data.
walesdave

#145 Post by walesdave »

Egg on Leggs1 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:26 am
Hunter87 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:43 am Has anyone on here decided to take legal action against guntrader?
I've got to disagree.

I'm a one-man band and my business often has access to highly sensitive data. As part of my due diligence I have my IT equipment certified and my processes etc. have to conform to various security standards. I also have a bunch of expensive insurance policies in place to cover my business in case anything ever goes horribly wrong.

'Hacks' and data breaches don't 'just happen' they are allowed to happen by businesses and individuals not following correct practices and using IT equipment not in the manner it was intended. Guntrader is an IT company holding sensitive data as well as financial information and would be aware of industry standards and security practices; they had a data breach because the business somehow allowed it to happen and as such the business should be held accountable.

...and yes... I have started a claim against them.
Polchraine

#146 Post by Polchraine »

walesdave wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:13 pm
I've got to disagree.

I'm a one-man band and my business often has access to highly sensitive data. As part of my due diligence I have my IT equipment certified and my processes etc. have to conform to various security standards. I also have a bunch of expensive insurance policies in place to cover my business in case anything ever goes horribly wrong.

'Hacks' and data breaches don't 'just happen' they are allowed to happen by businesses and individuals not following correct practices and using IT equipment not in the manner it was intended. Guntrader is an IT company holding sensitive data as well as financial information and would be aware of industry standards and security practices; they had a data breach because the business somehow allowed it to happen and as such the business should be held accountable.

I have to disagree.

A couple of years back I did some work for someone who spent all his time trying to hack companies IT infrastructure - websites, financial data, internal systems and more. He was making a fortune from it - paid by the companies who he was "attacking". He was on te right side, trying to find the vulnerabilities or picking up the latest threats and hacks. He said most of his clients had done everything they could think of to lock out those with malicious intent but all it might take is a small update from a software supplier and before every interacting application had been checked someone finds a small way in ...

Do you really think that a company such as BA really want £20m fines - and their systems don't just have pax data but are interconnected to SITA who themselves have Air Traffic Control data and live links to ATC hubs ...

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#147 Post by Daryll »

Its like having gun cabinets and home security... you do what you can, but if someone wants your guns they'll find a way..

A few years ago the Co. I worked for (multi-national research company) was hit with a massive ransomeware attack... they encrypted all the Windows servers and many desktop PCs, even though we had IT security, secure logins, VPN's etc..

We never did find out exactly how they got onto the Co. network, but the rumour was that one of the IT directors sent one of his minions a network password via Facebook Messenger... Not secure to say the least..!!

It took us 18 months and god knows how much money (to a 3rd party company.. not the ransomers!) to get everything back up and running.
RDC

#148 Post by RDC »

Daryll wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:29 pm
We never did find out exactly how they got onto the Co. network, but the rumour was that one of the IT directors sent one of his minions a network password via Facebook Messenger... Not secure to say the least..!!

It took us 18 months and god knows how much money (to a 3rd party company.. not the ransomers!) to get everything back up and running.

I'm aware of some companies that have had breaches via USB powered/charged devices such as vape pens plugged into the PC to be charged from the USB Port.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#149 Post by Pippin89 »

walesdave wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:13 pm
I've got to disagree.

I can't say I agree that they are "at-fault" as such. But I do believe that we can't set a precedent of letting this kind of thing go without backlash. It would give companies the thought process of saving money at the expense of updating their security. GT won't take any real punishment as, as you say, they will have insurance to cover any legal action taken against them. However, the insurance companies will up their game and impose stricter security requirements on their policies and that will up everyone's game.

Personally I am not taking action as, having just gone through a car insurance claim from someone hitting me, I really could do without the hassle. But I certainly don't condemn those that do.
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

#150 Post by Brian838 »

I've been informed that Guntrader have gone into liquidation and a new company 'Guntrader 2' has been setup.