Guntrader leak

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Guntrader leak

#221 Post by Dark Skies »

Pete wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:18 am "It doesn't matter. When people did, whether seller, buyer, or both, sensitive information was entrusted to GT and they failed to keep it safe."

My post would have made a bit more sense if I'd added the above quote from Dark Skies.....

Pete
It still doesn't make any sense, if that's any consolation.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G
Past Supporter

#222 Post by Sim G »

Pippin89 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:04 am
The most frustrating thing about this whole bo...cks for me is that, as firearms owners we are told not to tell people about our passions. We are told to keep our hobby hidden like some dirty little secret.

Who on Earth told you that?!!!! What utter bollox!

My friends know, my colleagues know, my neighbours know. Given the amount of debit card transactions, my bank definitely knows!!!

Are Gunshop’s robbed and burgled more than any other retail business? Of course not. Are gun owners robbed and burgled more than any other citizen? Of course not. In fact, if there were statistics it would probably be a lot less due to the security they should have. There’s more chance of being followed back from the supermarket if you drive a luxury high value car or have a designer mongrel stolen from your garden than have an OCG rock up to your front door because of a .308 or 12 bore O/U.

There is a distinct lack of pragmatism on this thread…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies

#223 Post by Dark Skies »

With all due respect I suspect a serving police officer is unlikely to get the same sort of patronizing finger-wagging us mere mortals are subjected to by your colleagues.

if an ordinary FAC holder were burgled and firearms were taken, I'm betting it would not bode well for the unlucky sod were it to transpire that everyone and their granny knew about the victim's firearms. It may well count against their next renewal or end up in revocation.

A few months before I mounted this lockable rifle case on my bike I inquired with both my local force and the NRA to check if it was actually legal (not being in the boot of a car and hidden). I was told that whilst it was perfectly legal it was definitely not good practice to advertise the fact that I owned firearms. I went ahead and did it anyway because the traffic en route home towards the M4 is horrendous. And it was legal.

Some weeks later, when I rocked up at Bisley on my Pan, I was subjected to a condescending ten minute lecture on discretion and low key being the watchwords of responsible firearm ownership by two TVP firearm officers. I stood and listened because I suspected if I didn't and I put their noses out of joint they'd note my index number and make a report out of sheer pettiness.

In the end I went to some lengths to disguise it as fishing gear -carrying a large net and plastering fishing related stickers on the case.

And finally. New guidance on grants and renewals appears to give weight to making social media checks. I suspect being loud and proud about your sport of Facebook may well bite people on their arses soon.
Attachments
gunrack.jpg
gashtyke

#224 Post by gashtyke »

Hmm............ looks more like a gun case than a gun case
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#225 Post by Alpha1 »

23 pages WOW
Dark Skies

#226 Post by Dark Skies »

gashtyke wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:16 am Hmm............ looks more like a gun case than a gun case
That's before I stealthed it up a bit.
It's surprising how much I was able to transform it with some black scarf netting wrapped about the lower half, with a landing net strapped to it, and a few cheesy fisherman stickers.
Graham M

#227 Post by Graham M »

It now looks like an angler going shooting goodjob :D
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#228 Post by dromia »

Even in this unfortunately technology addicted and driven society the old adage runs true.

"If you fly with the crows you must expect to get shot."

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#229 Post by hitchphil »

Plenty of ways to hide a rifle & travel on public transport or a bike without looking bloody obvious ............

Similarly plenty if ways to safely shop or sell a firearm on line by using a cover email address, phone, VPN etc
Attachments
Covert-Dreadnought-Guitar-Double-Rifle-Case (1).jpg
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Dark Skies

#230 Post by Dark Skies »

hitchphil wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:01 pm Plenty of ways to hide a rifle & travel on public transport or a bike without looking bloody obvious ............
I think you've missed the point of my reply to Sim G.
And, actually, carrying a large rifle, ammunition, mat, spotting scope and all the rest of the toot on a motorcycle SAFELY, as in it still being on the back when you arrive at your destination, and SECURELY, as in not having it pinched should you need to refuel or perhaps following an accident, is not as easy as one might think. Bikes do not readily lend themselves to it - which is why I ended up buying an ex-plod Pan Euro as it had lots of storage and mounting brackets as standard.

Sure you can sling a gun slip over your shoulder and stick the minimum gear and ammo in an old army canvas bag around your neck. Now ride an unfaired bike seventy odd miles with wind tearing at it at motorway speeds, flapping about your neck and tell me it feels great and you arrive relaxed and rested.

That said I ride my Harley to Bisley with my Saiga AK folder hidden in a violin case and ammunition in my jacket pockets - you can do it but your neck sure knows you've done it.