Guntrader leak

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Hunter87

Re: Guntrader leak

#211 Post by Hunter87 »

I think it’s unfair that after all the issues and grief they have put me through they are allowed to fold the company to simply get out of paying for the damages caused. Looks like their website is still up a running as normal though.
Chapuis

#212 Post by Chapuis »

Hunter87 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:24 pm I think it’s unfair that after all the issues and grief they have put me through they are allowed to fold the company to simply get out of paying for the damages caused. Looks like their website is still up a running as normal though.
It's quite common, that's the very reason for limited companies.
Unfortunately some people make a habit of it, I'm not saying that this is the case with Guntrader.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#213 Post by hitchphil »

You have to jump thru a number of legal hoops to close a Ltd.Co business down - you cant just close it to avoid debts as you wish - but debts do have to be levied. i.e. invoiced or outstanding. If a court case is actually pending that also can prevent dissolution of a business too.

Some businesses routinely dissolve (double glazing!) to e.g. avoid longer term promised warranties. It seems GT has dissolved based on potential labilities by possible court action vs business debts so it can & has closed, & not surprisingly then resurrected as GT#2 & a subtle change in the web address etc. What might at first seem dodgy is transfer of addresses names etc under GDPR - however many businesses have terms in their contracts or in buying that details may be retained & passed on to such successor companies. Some organisations are bought & sold because of their contacts & access to markets etc.

The legal threats to this company look like those that from those compensation claims Cos who parasite & ambulance chase any issue in an attempt to drum up business. - if you are worried by security etc now after the leak, then really shouldn't you have been before?

Good advice above to use a generic email & number 07123456789 for the worlds need to register you to shop & spam@nowhere.com works for many e.g. hotels that 'demand' an email address for wifi access.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#214 Post by Dark Skies »

Ah, the old 'she was asking to be raped, dressed like that' defence.

" if you are worried by security etc now after the leak, then really shouldn't you have been before? "

That's not a viable argument. The chances of a FAC holder being burgled and losing firearms with adequate approved security measures in place are MUCH lower compared to a situation where a prepared housebreaker is armed with appropriate tools for the job due to knowing firearms are on the premises.

This is why we don't tell people outside our shooting community what we have and why we sneak about loading the car when off to the range.

Guntrader did / does business with firearms buyers and sellers - the onus was on THEM to keep their clients' details safe. Clearly they recognized that and folded rather than see people in court.

It's not up to clients to wear a false nose and moustache to hide their identity.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#215 Post by Pete »

You didn't need to register with GT in order to buy from a GT advertiser.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

#216 Post by Brian838 »

Pete wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:41 pm You didn't need to register with GT in order to buy from a GT advertiser.

Pete
You do in order to sell though.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#217 Post by Dark Skies »

Pete wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:41 pm You didn't need to register with GT in order to buy from a GT advertiser.

Pete
It doesn't matter. When people did, whether seller, buyer, or both, sensitive information was entrusted to GT and they failed to keep it safe.

Fortunately I did not, as most of my purchases were initiated via their contact facility and discussions with the seller via emails between us.
However, had I used their site to sell guns I would have been obliged to.

If the concept of responsibility for entrusted data eludes you because it was just Gun Trader, imagine it was a dealer you've bought guns from directly - same onus of responsibility. Same risks to firearms dealers / buyers if not protected.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#218 Post by Pippin89 »

daman wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:48 pm I've had a lot more nuisance calls since the leak - obviously can't be sure they're connected, but I've adopted a policy that if I don't recognise the number I don't answer, and if they then don't leave a message I just add them to a blocklist.
If you google the phone number it will normally come up with a website called "Who called me" or something like that. You can then read through the comments and find out who it is before you block them.

The most frustrating thing about this whole bo...cks for me is that, as firearms owners we are told not to tell people about our passions. We are told to keep our hobby hidden like some dirty little secret. And all that effort that most of us go to has been blown away in one act.
A couple of months ago I came second in a county smallbore competition, my first real achievement since taking up the sport 3 years ago or so... The normal thing to do with a proud achievement these days would be to share it with friends and family, normally via the medium of Facebook or similar. I didn't do that because it was in the back of my mind that we shouldn't be posting such things about ourselves online. And yet here we are, a little while later, with the exact locations of potential gun owners properties, including mine, plastered all over the internet for anyone to see.
Pete
Past Supporter

#219 Post by Pete »

So are you suggesting that if I buy something advertised on Guntrader, having contacted the advertiser via the contact details displayed in their ad, they will then inform Guntrader that I've bought a gun from them and give Guntrader my details?

I don't think so.......

Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pete
Past Supporter

#220 Post by Pete »

"It doesn't matter. When people did, whether seller, buyer, or both, sensitive information was entrusted to GT and they failed to keep it safe."

My post would have made a bit more sense if I'd added the above quote from Dark Skies.....

Pete