Guntrader leak

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Guntrader leak

#31 Post by Blackstuff »

I seriously doubt it but it will be interesting to see if the is any action taken under GDPR or similar (which can include significant fines).
DVC
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#32 Post by Pippin89 »

Hunter87 wrote:Will people be compensated for this?
Someone mentioned a class action law suit. Frankly once the lawyers take their cut, the 100,000+ people affected would probably get £5.38 each!
CDM5
Home club or Range: Tidworth RPC & Bisley

#33 Post by CDM5 »

Blackstuff wrote:I seriously doubt it but it will be interesting to see if the is any action taken under GDPR or similar (which can include significant fines).

The leak has my details going back 15 years when I was living with my parents.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#34 Post by snayperskaya »

CDM5 wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:I seriously doubt it but it will be interesting to see if the is any action taken under GDPR or similar (which can include significant fines).

How do you find out what details they have?
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Musclebob

#35 Post by Musclebob »

snayperskaya wrote:
CDM5 wrote:

How do you find out what details they have?
Log into guntrader. They will have whatever details you have stored against you, title, name, address, phone number, email. Anything you entered into guntrader is now out there.

Check https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to confirm if your email address is on the list
Ballistix

#36 Post by Ballistix »

I’m not sure what this hacker was trying to accomplish? Just because you have an autotrader account doesn’t mean that you have a car?
RDC

#37 Post by RDC »

Ballistix wrote:I’m not sure what this hacker was trying to accomplish? Just because you have an autotrader account doesn’t mean that you have a car?
For some people they simply enjoy the challenge of getting the data. Others the reputation that comes with it.

Others still purposefully target certain groups, like firearms owners, because they hate them with a passion and hope the leaked data will cause them massive problems. Inevitably, innocent people get hurt when leaks occur.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#38 Post by Dark Skies »

Ballistix wrote:I’m not sure what this hacker was trying to accomplish? Just because you have an autotrader account doesn’t mean that you have a car?
I suspect this doesn't matter and they are indifferent to the contents of the data.
The fact is it has value to certain elements of the criminal fraternity and so they can make a tidy sum selling off the data in the same way banks, supermarkets, insurance companies and so on sell on your info.

As with any data a big enough pool of information has potential to reap a decent profit. The originator of the hack doesn't care how current the information is, merely that to purchasers the information in large amounts is worth a punt and therefore can be sold.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Polchraine

#39 Post by Polchraine »

Could be "sanitised" so just name and email and sold as a "legitimate list of xxx,000 confirmed gun owners/users" to a gun or ammunition maker or a new magazine launching, or an insurance company.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#40 Post by Racalman »

Here you go. Anyone up for it?

https://www.hayesconnor.co.uk/news-and- ... s%20stolen