Guntrader leak

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Guntrader leak

#191 Post by Blackstuff »

wildrover77 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:39 am I think we need to start vigorously prosecuting the victims of crime. It would be sure to encourage people to stop becoming victims. The smart way to solve crime!
Its the 21st century way! :good:
DVC
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

#192 Post by Brian838 »

Sim G wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:36 am
Brian838 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:38 pm The only thing I've lost is peace of mind at this point in time...

Which is somehow justification for joining an effort that would undoubtedly destroy a commercial company putting a dozen or so people out of a job…? Aye, I bet they’re cocky-hoop at the prospect so that you “feel” OK.

Number One lesson in all of this. Don’t give out your personal information.
I think the number one lesson is why pay money for public liability insurance? If you f*** up, just change the company name and hey presto, problem (for the company) disappears! If the same thing happens again, we'll you know what to do.....
RDC

#193 Post by RDC »

Brian838 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:20 am
RDC wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:06 am
Brian838 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:38 pm The only thing I've lost is peace of mind at this point in time...
We aren't yanks. You can't sue for emotional distress.
You most certainly can.
Good luck. :good:
walesdave

#194 Post by walesdave »

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/da ... pensation/

Under data protection law, you are entitled to take your case to court to:
[...]
claim compensation for any damage caused by any organisation if they have broken data protection law, including any distress you may have suffered
DL.

#195 Post by DL. »

Pete wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:40 am Beating yourself up over something that MIGHT happen??.........that way madness lies..........I'm more concerned about something that is happening, and happening a lot quicker than everyone evidently thought possible.

Pete

And yes, according to GT I was on the list...I sold an airgun some years ago.
You're saying that FAC holders being concerned about being robbed after their names and addresses were leaked on the internet is in some way irrational?

There has been a history of violent crime committed against FAC holders for decades now and this loss of other peoples data makes that risk increase massively.

My neighbours didn't know I shoot, anyone online can now.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#196 Post by Pippin89 »

DL. wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:19 pm
Pete wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:40 am Beating yourself up over something that MIGHT happen??.........that way madness lies..........I'm more concerned about something that is happening, and happening a lot quicker than everyone evidently thought possible.

Pete

And yes, according to GT I was on the list...I sold an airgun some years ago.
You're saying that FAC holders being concerned about being robbed after their names and addresses were leaked on the internet is in some way irrational?

There has been a history of violent crime committed against FAC holders for decades now and this loss of other peoples data makes that risk increase massively.

My neighbours didn't know I shoot, anyone online can now.
Not to mention the anti's that spread it around on their website and encouraged their followers to contact the people on the list. We all know what they're capable of!
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#197 Post by Pete »

Not irrational, but totally pointless if there's absolutely nothing you can do about it............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
DL.

#198 Post by DL. »

Pete wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:08 am Not irrational, but totally pointless if there's absolutely nothing you can do about it............

Pete
You're either admirably zen or massively defeatist!
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#199 Post by Pete »

I'll take "admirably zen".......I've been around long enough to know when I'm beat... teanews

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Hunter87

#200 Post by Hunter87 »

Hi all,

I’ve stayed quiet on this subject as I wasn’t sure how it would play out but now I know the outcome I can update you all on my situation. I had my Data breached by Guntrader my address, email and telephone number were leaked online so I contacted a solicitor to see what my options were and I then decided to file a GDPR claim against Guntrader for damages caused by the leak. I filled in all the paperwork and waited Several months as these things tend to drag out. I was informed Guntrader had got themselves a solicitor to defend them and about a month later I was informed that Guntrader had dismissed their solicitor as they were going to defend themselves. It was at this point I should have realised what they were going to do! I have just received a call this morning to tell me that Guntrader have decided to fold / liquidate the business in order to avoid being liable for the breach and so they don’t have to pay out any compensation which would have been around £1200 - £1500.