Guntrader leak

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

Re: Guntrader leak

#131 Post by redcat »

Pippin89 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:05 pm Just a word of warning to all. A favourite trick of hunt sabs used to be sending hunters a letter with a razor blade stuck inside it designed to shred your fingers as you open it. As they have themselves a nice mailing list, I would be careful of your post. Especially if you have young kids.
That's a nice tip for the "antis" who weren't aware of it and who follow sites like this.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
RDC

#132 Post by RDC »

Pete wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:42 am I thought hunting live foxes with dogs was banned in 2005.........? (And rightly so, IMHO)

Pete

Where are you see ing him say that is what was going on when the horses were harmed?
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#133 Post by Pete »

Hang on, are you suggesting that hunt sabs are just going around harming horses for fun, then?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#134 Post by Pippin89 »

I'm not sure that I said it was recently either..... It wasn't. Come to think of it, I didn't even mention dogs! But for the record fox hunting with dogs is still legal. There just has to be a bird of prey or shooter to make the kill before the dogs get to the fox.
RDC

#135 Post by RDC »

Pete wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:49 pm Hang on, are you suggesting that hunt sabs are just going around harming horses for fun, then?

Pete
Drag hunts are constantly targeted.

And to answer your question, I suspect a lot of what the sabs do is for fun. The fun of the confrontation and fight.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#136 Post by Pete »

I just received an email from Guntrader concerning the hack and here's the first paragraph:

"The ICO has recently contacted us in relation to media reports, which you may have seen, where an individual or individuals criminally used the stolen data to plot location data into a mapping system. An animal rights’ activist website published the map and recommended people commit criminal offences by obtaining a copy of this additional data set and contacting those identified within it. As soon as we found out about it we passed the information along to the NCA. They took down the google doc as soon as they were able and are still investigating."

Am I'm missing something here? Last I heard was that you had to download the hacked data file (itself an illegal act?) and put it into Google maps, which would then flag up the location. The above suggests something different...
Presumably Guntrader is contacting everybody concerned, so if you get their email, then you're on the hacked file.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#137 Post by dromia »

NCA "Naughty Computer Agency"?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#138 Post by Daryll »

Pete wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:55 pm ......
Presumably Guntrader is contacting everybody concerned, so if you get their email, then you're on the hacked file.

Pete
I checked the hacked file, and I'm on there, but with my old email address....(not used since 2009), so they won't be sending me an email..!
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#139 Post by Pippin89 »

Pete wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:55 pm I just received an email from Guntrader concerning the hack and here's the first paragraph:

"The ICO has recently contacted us in relation to media reports, which you may have seen, where an individual or individuals criminally used the stolen data to plot location data into a mapping system. An animal rights’ activist website published the map and recommended people commit criminal offences by obtaining a copy of this additional data set and contacting those identified within it. As soon as we found out about it we passed the information along to the NCA. They took down the google doc as soon as they were able and are still investigating."

Am I'm missing something here? Last I heard was that you had to download the hacked data file (itself an illegal act?) and put it into Google maps, which would then flag up the location. The above suggests something different...

Pete
Yes they gave instructions on how to upload the file directly to google maps or google earth to shortlist those living near them. GunTrader got it slightly wrong but the jist of what they're saying is about right.

The bit of it that made me laugh was:
Because we believe that people would not want to commit a criminal offence in using the data, we consider it unlikely to occur.
They have obviously never dealt with Hunt sabs / animal right activists before! The law is the last thing on their mind.
Christel
Site Admin

#140 Post by Christel »

Diplomatic approach? Either that or just plain stupid.