Regional RCO courses

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

Re: Regional RCO courses

#21 Post by Dellboy »

can you still attend bisley for the courses ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#22 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes the courses are run regularly at Bisley. If you go to the NRA web site you can book yourself on one.
Alpha1

#23 Post by Alpha1 »

All sorted courses organised and paid for Trainers in place we will have at the end of the day 16 new RCO,s. That's a result in my book.
I am really pleased how this went.
I am hope full after discussions with the NRA that I will be able to do this again in the North East.
Alpha1

#24 Post by Alpha1 »

This weekend is the first of two RSO courses. (Range safety officer) hope fully many more will follow.
Alpha1

#25 Post by Alpha1 »

The first RSO course was completed over the week end every one passed. They all found it useful. They are all booked onto the one day RCO course that will take place next month.
That,s eight new RSO (Range safety officers) They will be on duty at the host Clubs next full bore shoot.
The second RSO course is next month we have another eight candidates booked on to that one. Three of them are my Club members I agreed to share the cost of this one to get my guys qualified. That means that 50% of my Club members will be RCO qualified. I am keen to repeat this exercise and I will be pushing for it.
Alpha1

#26 Post by Alpha1 »

The second RSO course is going ahead next week end. We actually have 10 trainees booked onto it. Two one day RCO courses will take place at the end of the month. All together that,s about 16 new RCO,s I call that a result.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#27 Post by IainWR »

Some definitions from the NRA Handbook

Responsible persons supervising live firing – definitions

108 a Whenever live firing takes place, one individual is allocated the responsibility of supervising the activity to ensure that it is conducted safely and in accordance with applicable rules and indicates acceptance of this responsibility by signing an agreement to do so. That individual is conventionally known as the Range Officer (RO), or if responsible for such a large or varied activity that assistance is required, the Chief Range Officer (CRO), with a number of ROs under his command. A Safety Supervisor (SS) assists an RO by close supervision of one or two shooters during a specific practice. A Range Conducting Officer (RCO) is a person who holds a formal qualification from a recognised authority to supervise live firing within limits specified. The RCO is the responsible person holding such a qualification who is supervising live firing on a range where such a qualification is required to do so.

b A Range Operating Authority (ROA) is the person or organisation responsible for ensuring that a range is constructed and maintained to recognised safety and legal standards and for providing a physical and regulatory environment within which an RO can run that range in safety and within the law.

c A Range Safety Officer (RSO) is a person who holds a formal qualification from the NRA
i in the principles and processes by which a range is assured to be a Safe Place
ii in the principles and processes by which an RO assures that live firing constitutes a Safe Practice within the meaning of the Safe Shooting System
and, as a consequence of that qualification, is deemed competent to advise a ROA on such matters.

d A Range Template Controller (RTC) is the person appointed by the ROA to co-ordinate multiple user groups operating simultaneously on a range or range complex. The instructions of the RTC to effect co-ordination are binding on all range users, including any CRO, RO, RCO or SS on the range.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#28 Post by phaedra1106 »

Hi Dave :)

I thought all the places were booked?

I've had an email from Guy saying that places are available on both courses?

Dear All

I know it has been some time since I wrote to you about arranging some local RSC/RCO training in the North East, but the good news is that pending some fine tuning of logistics etc, it looks like we have two courses lined up.

So, this email is to act as a heads up only that in the next week or so, bookings will be opening for courses which hopefully will be held on the following dates :

RSO - 23rd & 24th Oct
RCO - 13th Nov (Sat)
RSO - 20th and 21st Nov
RCO - 28th Nov (Sun)

Please understand that until NRA HQ announce these dates, they are purely provisional , but I am letting you know so that you can start to see who you want to attend.

We have worked very hard to make this happen, so can I ask that you try to make the endeavours successful by filling all places. Costs etc will be announced shortly but I am certain they will be significantly cheaper than having to go to Bisley twice.

Again pending final confirmation, the location will be in one of our NRA affiliated clubs in Middlesbrough.

More formal news soon .

Cheers

Guy
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Alpha1

#29 Post by Alpha1 »

The original two training courses have been completed resulting in 16 new RCO,s. This email has probably gone out to all Club secretaries in the North east. These two courses are new dates the NRA is negotiating with the Club with a view to running training courses there on a regular basis.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#30 Post by phaedra1106 »

Excellent, can you let me know when there's anything set up please? I have a couple of members who'd like to attend.

At present out of 15 RCO's we're down to 5 of us who actually do the job :(
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)