Regional RCO courses

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Regional RCO courses

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I am running out of qualified RCO,s.
Has any one run a regional course if so did you have to have access to a MOD range or did a club indoor 25 yard range suffice.
I am aware that the RCO thing is now a two part training exercise the first bit being a two day course and the follow up RCO course is a one day thing.
I have a couple of options but I would be interested to know if any other Clubs had run a regional course especially in the North East.
I would also be interested to hear from any North East clubs who would be willing to share the cost of a joint venture.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

Re: Regional RCO courses

#2 Post by phaedra1106 »

Hi Dave :)

We ran one a couple of years ago, I'll try and find the details for the chap we had come up.

First part of the course was a full day ran in the place we use for club meetings, second day was at Ponteland range, we had access to one of the classrooms and the old disused pistol range to run the practical part.

I'll have to check the previous secretaries records but I think the cost to the club was around £200 per RCO.

We have 16 RCO's at present and can only rely on the same 5 people to volunteer and actually turn up and do the job.
One of the problems is Major O'Kane at Otterburn insists on RCO's attending a briefing at the camp every 6 months to be signed off, this is mid-week which means some people are unable to attend. Looking into next year we may be forced to pay an external RCO to come in for us.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#3 Post by phaedra1106 »

Taked to my chairman this morning, he reckons that all in our course cost the club almost £4,000 for 10-12 members.
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

phaedra1106 wrote:Hi Dave :)

We ran one a couple of years ago, I'll try and find the details for the chap we had come up.

First part of the course was a full day ran in the place we use for club meetings, second day was at Ponteland range, we had access to one of the classrooms and the old disused pistol range to run the practical part.

I'll have to check the previous secretaries records but I think the cost to the club was around £200 per RCO.

We have 16 RCO's at present and can only rely on the same 5 people to volunteer and actually turn up and do the job.
One of the problems is Major O'Kane at Otterburn insists on RCO's attending a briefing at the camp every 6 months to be signed off, this is mid-week which means some people are unable to attend. Looking into next year we may be forced to pay an external RCO to come in for us.
I have worked out the cost and spoke to NRA training if we do it ourselves it will cost us a minimum of £1500 depending on how many candidates we put forward.
There has to be a minimum of 6 trainees and up to 12 I think. My problem is I don't have 6 trainees we only have 20 members.(The 20 members is a deliberate thing)
I have a meeting next week that will hopefully resolve our problem.

phaedra1106

A question when you booked the range and class room with Landmarc did you book it using the bams system if not how did you go about booking the venues.
Next question how much are you wiling to pay this external RCO to come in and do it. shakeshout
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#5 Post by phaedra1106 »

I'll have to ask, it was organised before I took over as secretary.

From what I can gather the going rate for the RCO is about £50 per shoot. I really don't want to go down that route as our Ponteland shoots already add £105 to the Landmarck charges, we pay our buitts supervisor and 2 sentries £35 each, a practice carried over from our previous secretary.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

Alpha1 wrote: There has to be a minimum of 6 trainees and up to 12 I think. My problem is I don't have 6 trainees we only have 20 members.(The 20 members is a deliberate thing)
If that's the case, surely it would be cheaper for the club to pay the expenses of one (or two) club member to travel down to Bisley and do one of the NRA monthly courses?
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

GeeRam wrote:
Alpha1 wrote: There has to be a minimum of 6 trainees and up to 12 I think. My problem is I don't have 6 trainees we only have 20 members.(The 20 members is a deliberate thing)
If that's the case, surely it would be cheaper for the club to pay the expenses of one (or two) club member to travel down to Bisley and do one of the NRA monthly courses?
Its not as simple as that none of my members have any intention of ever traveling to Bisley including me. Why should we have to do that

There are qualified NRA trainers locally I know for a fact one lives within 15 mile of me.

Problem:
1. Having a suitable venue.
2. You have to book it through the NRA training portal and pay for each candidate and supply them with the dates your training venue is available then they allocate you a trainer and you get to be able to pm him or her and sort out how much they are going to charge you for the privilege.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

From the NRA website should any of you be thinking about running a regional RCO course.

ABOUT THE COURSE

The NRA offers a variety of courses for clubs throughout the British Isles
Range Safety Officer (RSO) course. The RSO course is designed to teach and ensure best practice in the running of a club or private range at club level, and is now the obligatory first step in achieving an RCO qualification
Range Conducting Officer (RCO) course. The RCO course is designed to teach the process of running a Ministry of Defence (MoD) range. The qualification will grant the certificate holder the authority to RO on MoD ranges
Club Instructor (CI) course. The CI Course is designed around the NRA’s probationary training syllabus. The course provides candidates with the tools to be able to successfully deliver probationary training within their clubs.
The RSO and Club Instructor courses are two-day courses, and the RCO course is a one-day course. Any regional course run by the NRA should have a minimum of 6 course attendees, up to a maximum number dependant on the allocated instructor’s discretion

Once you have completed the below questions the NRA training team will assign a Regional Instructor and put them in contact with the organiser from the club. From here it is down to the club and instructor to agree the date and other details, including the confirmed number of candidates, always keeping the NRA informed.

The host club should be able to facilitate the course in its entirety. The basic requirements for a course are:

A space to be used as a classroom/training room which can facilitate the number attending the course
A suitable range (for the RSO and CI courses)
A power supply
A projector or television screen from which to run the course material
Tea & coffee making facilities
Toilet facilities
First Aid (either a suitable First Aid box and or trained First Aider)
If some of these requirements cannot be met it may be possible to work around them in some way. Get in touch with the NRA and/or the allocated instructor to discuss suitable solutions

And apparently the NRA offers these courses through out the UK. BULL s***
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

Alpha1 wrote:From the NRA website should any of you be thinking about running a regional RCO course.

ABOUT THE COURSE

The NRA offers a variety of courses for clubs throughout the British Isles
Range Safety Officer (RSO) course. The RSO course is designed to teach and ensure best practice in the running of a club or private range at club level, and is now the obligatory first step in achieving an RCO qualification
Range Conducting Officer (RCO) course. The RCO course is designed to teach the process of running a Ministry of Defence (MoD) range. The qualification will grant the certificate holder the authority to RO on MoD ranges
Club Instructor (CI) course. The CI Course is designed around the NRA’s probationary training syllabus. The course provides candidates with the tools to be able to successfully deliver probationary training within their clubs.
The RSO and Club Instructor courses are two-day courses, and the RCO course is a one-day course. Any regional course run by the NRA should have a minimum of 6 course attendees, up to a maximum number dependant on the allocated instructor’s discretion

Once you have completed the below questions the NRA training team will assign a Regional Instructor and put them in contact with the organiser from the club. From here it is down to the club and instructor to agree the date and other details, including the confirmed number of candidates, always keeping the NRA informed.

The host club should be able to facilitate the course in its entirety. The basic requirements for a course are:

A space to be used as a classroom/training room which can facilitate the number attending the course
A suitable range (for the RSO and CI courses)
A power supply
A projector or television screen from which to run the course material
Tea & coffee making facilities
Toilet facilities
First Aid (either a suitable First Aid box and or trained First Aider)
If some of these requirements cannot be met it may be possible to work around them in some way. Get in touch with the NRA and/or the allocated instructor to discuss suitable solutions

And apparently the NRA offers these courses through out the UK. BULL s***
Not quite BS. It requires the club to arrange with the NRA to run the course. So if the club aren't going to put in the effort to book and take payment there will be no course.

There was an RCO with HME course run at Cambridge last week. This followed the RSO course ran earlier apparently.

Charles from the NRA ran the course at Cambridge and the cost was very reasonable.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes you are right of course.
I have been in touch with the NRA training dept.
The stumbling block is a suitable venue. We only shoot on Landmarc MOD booked ranges. We dont have our own range.
But I am working on it.