Doctor certification for FAC

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

Re: Doctor certification for FAC

#41 Post by Racalman »

Practical shooter wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:09 am
If you went through all the hoops of qualifying as a doctor and are being asked to sign off someone you don't know to hold firearms id want paid also. Simple fact is if you decide to go mental then your gp is going to be the first door the police chap asking how did you get a firearm as the police won't kick the flo in the butt.

We know shooting here is a privilege not a right and we are getting obstacles put in our path at every turn. We don't like or agree with it but let's be honest it is going to get a lot worse to the point where it won't be worth the hassle anymore
Firstly a GP does not sign you off as fit to hold firearms, that decision is taken by the Chief Constable (or his delegated staff). The GP is signing a form to certify that to the best of their knowledge you do not suffer from any of the notifiable conditions.

Secondly, owning firearms is a right because if you meet the criteria you cannot be denied them. That's why We have a certificate not a licence.
Practical shooter

#42 Post by Practical shooter »

Well the fact you ask for one, ask for calibers, ask for everything means it's not a right. It can be taken from you at anytime.

Human rights are a right as they can't be taken away but your right to plink can be.

If I gp doesn't sign the form it won't be processed. You may not like that but it's the way it is. If it was your right to have a firearm you could have a list of illnesses suicide attempts or criminal convictions.

Let's agree to disagree
Polchraine

#43 Post by Polchraine »

I could ask my GP to act as a referee - and that means they believe me to be upstanding and have can see no reason why I should not be granted a certificate. The text on the form says:

Section 27 of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended by the1997 Act) requires a chief officer to be satisfied that the applicant is fit to be entrusted with a firearm and is not prohibited by the Act from possessing a firearm. The chief
officer must also be satisfied that the applicant can be permitted to have the firearm or ammunition in their possession without danger to the public safety or to the peace. In reaching his decision the chief officer will take into
account whether there is any known history of alcohol, drug or medication abuse, violent or unsociable behaviour, or mental or psychiatric disorder. If you know of any matter or occurrence of which you think the chief officer should be
aware, then you should include it on the form. You should mention anything that gives rise to any concern you have about the applicant’s suitability to possess firearms.

So, they sign that form - but cannot charge me. The police can then ask them for a GP response - giving the same information and they can charge. It is just a few minutes work in most cases - maybe 10-15, charging £80 or so, over £300/hour.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Racalman

#44 Post by Racalman »

Practical shooter wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:21 pm Well the fact you ask for one, ask for calibers, ask for everything means it's not a right. It can be taken from you at anytime.
It can be taken away if you cease to be a fit person or no longer have a good reason. That's up to you, not them.
Practical shooter

#45 Post by Practical shooter »

Racalman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:12 pm
Practical shooter wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:21 pm Well the fact you ask for one, ask for calibers, ask for everything means it's not a right. It can be taken from you at anytime.
It can be taken away if you cease to be a fit person or no longer have a good reason. That's up to you, not them.
The point is a right can not be taken away, that's why it's a right. Shooting in the uk is a privilege just like driving
Racalman

#46 Post by Racalman »

That's what they'd like us to think, but as you say let's agree to differ.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#47 Post by Blackstuff »

Human rights are a right as they can't be taken away but your right to plink can be.

If I gp doesn't sign the form it won't be processed. You may not like that but it's the way it is. If it was your right to have a firearm you could have a list of illnesses suicide attempts or criminal convictions.

Let's agree to disagree
In fairness any 'right' can be taken away from you (in any country that i'm aware of), with the right circumstances.
DVC
Sim G
Past Supporter

#48 Post by Sim G »

In that case, they are not “Rights”.

And that has been the issue for the last century, particularly in the West. Rights, by concept and practice are inalienable. The fact that politicians have done so and the population has ultimately acquiesced, is shameful on both sides. But it has emboldened those in power to wield more might.

Lawyers and politicians I’m afraid are the scourge of a just society…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Graham M

#49 Post by Graham M »

“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.”
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Tommygunn
Home club or Range: Rustington Home Guard Rifle Club

#50 Post by Tommygunn »

Oh it’s a right but, as George Carlin would tell you, rights are an illusion

https://youtu.be/3gkjWxCl6zE
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly - Peter Cook