Doctor certification for FAC

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Doctor certification for FAC

#1 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
My five year term is up December and G.M.P sent me a reminder and website application details for my renewal if required.
I have read on this forum regarding problems obtaining doctors certification, and resigned myself to approaching private health care to resolve the issue should I be refused.
I went this morning to my practise with great trepidation, but low and behold was greeted with.
" Yes no problem that will be £25 and you can call and collect it the end of the week" WOW relief.
Well hopfully thats me sorted for another five years after I have completed the expanded renewal process and received my new FAC.
Lets now see how firearms licensing perform they will have 12 weeks before expiry.
Steve12345

Re: Doctor certification for FAC

#2 Post by Steve12345 »

I wish I read more on the forum first, my GP surgery charged £120 for my medical but I knew no better at the time...
Looks like that is very much on the expensive side from what I have now seen. Oh well, I know for the future.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

Did your FLD actually ask for a medical certificate though? I mean, after the events of last week i'm sure they will all feel bold enough to demand it now but I did my FAC renewal last/this year (yes it took THAT long) and it wasn't even mentioned.
DVC
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

I was also pleasantly surprised that my GP charged £30. Took several weeks and the police actually issued my FAC before the docs letter was written.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

Free of charge for me. I've also a funny feeling the renewal was processed without the doctor sending the form.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Polchraine

#6 Post by Polchraine »

I am in the Met Police area and there was no mention of a doctors report on my last renewal. I wonder if they take a pragmatic view. I do have several medications, but none associated with any of the potential problem areas such as epilepsy, mental illness, depression &c, and list them all.

Maybe the way through the GP questionaire issueis for each force to employ a "doctor" or someone with the right training to review each applicants medical notes. I can request my GP to share my notes with another registered professional and that will take all of 5 minutes. It then removes the responsibilities from the GP of saying yes/no to someones suitability and passes it to a trained individual who will immediately know from what they see and everyone will be treated equally.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#7 Post by Mauserbill »

hello
Very good idea that`s why I cannot see it being adopted why would Police firearms licensing take on the task when they already have the shooting community doing it for them and paying for the priviledge.
Polchraine

#8 Post by Polchraine »

Mauserbill wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:54 pm hello
Very good idea that`s why I cannot see it being adopted why would Police firearms licensing take on the task when they already have the shooting community doing it for them and paying for the priviledge.
Why do these things come up at the wrong time? Or had I thought about it a month ago just before I met with Prit Patel and Cressida Dick it woudl have been an ideal opportunity.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I recently renewed my FAC and applied for my first shot gun certificate. My licencing department told me they would contact my Doctor on my behalf there was no charge. Once they received my application they processed it in days not weeks or months.
walesdave

#10 Post by walesdave »

Polchraine wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:54 am Maybe the way through the GP questionaire issueis for each force to employ a "doctor" or someone with the right training to review each applicants medical notes.
I asked my local force exactly this when I had A LOT of bother around the medical questionnaire a few years back (there's a long post about it somewhere).

The FEOs answer (as far as I remember it correctly) was that they'd asked the force Doctor if he would be willing to review applicant supplied medical records (as you suggest) only to be told by the Doctor that there was no way he was going to get involved in something that would probably turn out to be an absolute mess and end up with a finger pointing blame game if anything 'went wrong' - looking at the media over the last few days, I thing the force Doctor was spot on.