Nationwide public survey of Firearms

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Nationwide public survey of Firearms

#11 Post by FredB »

The Police don't really handles the system at all. Every detail of FAC & SGC applications and renewals are handled by "civilian" employees of the Police Force. Quite a few of them are retired Police men / women.
Only the final sign-off is actually carried out by a serving police officer. This should be made public and we should press for a national authority to handle firearms matters. The Police are there to enforce the law, not to give HM's subjects licence to do anything, especially something like this which allows them to bend the rules and sometimes to make them up as they go along.
Fred
davidh195
Past Supporter

#12 Post by davidh195 »

The courts enforce the law, the police are supposed to uphold the law.

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Blackstuff »

Will it matter what any of the consultation responses are? Anti or pro they're by in large ignored and follow what the Whitehall cretins wanted to do in the first place.

The only notable exception being following the Cumbrian shootings where the review ended up in a slight relaxation of some areas, but that seemed to be largely down to the perfect storm of having a Prime Minister who was a shooter and a pro-shooting head of the FLEWG/FCC
DVC
Sandgroper

#14 Post by Sandgroper »

Sim G wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:38 pm Anyone seen it anywhere except this small newspaper link?
https://www.newsbreak.com/news/23686084 ... gun-reform

I think this is the rest of the article.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Polchraine

#15 Post by Polchraine »

FredB wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:08 pm The Police don't really handles the system at all. Every detail of FAC & SGC applications and renewals are handled by "civilian" employees of the Police Force.
Not in London ... my last four renewals have been by serving police officers. And on one occasion whilst coming to visit he was diverted to a "firearms incident".

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#16 Post by Mike95 »

Should the public be more concerned about stabbings, rather than shootings ... more people stabbed to death than shot to death..... shops selling zombie knives, bloody great big knives, swords, axes, hatchets... or even very sharp sticks.. crossbows, longbows.... and on and on..

Mike95
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#17 Post by Dark Skies »

bradaz11 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:23 pm
SevenSixTwo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:20 am https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 18028.html

We're f*cked now....
paywall...

I hope it's a review of the police, and their failings

nahhhh, it couldn't be that!
That would be too expensive - and would probably take ten years or more to get through. It's easier just to blame the less popular victims of police incompetence.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#18 Post by GeeRam »

Polchraine wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:33 am
FredB wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:08 pm The Police don't really handles the system at all. Every detail of FAC & SGC applications and renewals are handled by "civilian" employees of the Police Force.
Not in London ... my last four renewals have been by serving police officers. And on one occasion whilst coming to visit he was diverted to a "firearms incident".
Its depends on your area. My last FEO when I lived in MPD up to 2019 was a young civvy and not even an ex-copper.
FreddyF

#19 Post by FreddyF »

In conversation with an FEO at the time of my last variation , he asked me what I needed a moderator for ,or silencer as he put it, even though I had included reason for my request on the form ,he didn't know you could put them on a rifle apparently . He had only worked there for a couple of days and was ringing round the variation applications .I wrongly assumed that people in those jobs would have some knowledge of the subject .
It certainly makes you wonder .......
No-one ever sees you coming , do they Bob
Blackstuff

#20 Post by Blackstuff »

Of course they don't, most FLDs pay peanuts so they get massive staff turnovers with people just looking to get a foot in the door or go sideways on the ladder. If you're extremely lucky you'll get an ex/retired copper or someone who has been in the services who might have half a clue
DVC