NEW MEMBER. NEW QUESTION.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Veritas369

NEW MEMBER. NEW QUESTION.

#1 Post by Veritas369 »

Hi i just joined the forum today shakeshout

i have just moved in to a new home with my in-laws and having known my love for shooting for years, have just expressed that they do no want my gunsafe under their roof.

The only option open to me is a brick built garage with g.w.o door and the benefit of a pitched slated roof.

2 questions i thank you for in advance for answering.

1) will the police approve this as a secure location? (on private gated property)

2) will this outside area affect my optics and ammunition? (temperature changes etc)

please help asap as i want to fix safe, get approval and go for a shoot in my new area, stunningly beautiful cornwall.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: NEW MEMBER. NEW QUESTION.

#2 Post by Dark Skies »

Your garage won't be suitable with the average door and lock by a long shot. If the garage is integral to the house you might be able to tweak your security. Your usual detached garage with the lifting door, risible lock, with a window, and (easy to lift) tiled roof are non-starters
This link will give you the information as to the standards required regarding garages.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rms-fa1968
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

“ have just expressed that they do no want my gunsafe under their roof.”

They did that after you moved in?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Fully acquaint yourself with the HO security guidance and then armed with that knowledge make your security plans appropriate to the guidance and meeting your scabby outlaws unreasonably vindictive demands.

Then approach the relevant certification department and see what they say and be prepared to argue your case supported by the guidance.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Easiest and quickest but not the cheapest solution might be a small (2 metre square) shipping container slipped inside your garage. It'll cost you a grand but should satisfy any security concerns especially if it's alarmed. You could put a reloading bench in there as well.
AL8

#6 Post by AL8 »

Partition off the back part of the garage and alarm it, most forces will accept this.
But as has been stated read the guidance, that way you can argue your case better
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

Where was your cabinet before you moved in with the in-laws? Can you not just leave it there?
DVC
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by Pete »

I'd consider divorce.....

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Veritas369

#9 Post by Veritas369 »

thank you all for your replies.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#10 Post by GeeRam »

Pete wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:44 pm I'd consider divorce.....
Quite.

I would be spitting feathers if they waited until after moving in to tell you that (assuming you actually asked them beforehand if it was OK, and not just assumed it would be?) and it would forever sour what relationship you had with them up to now.

Will they allow you to make the necessary considerable modifications to their garage to try and make that work though?