FAC in Lincolnshire

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: FAC in Lincolnshire

#11 Post by Christel »

Yeah, very top, I have heard that one quite a few times.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

It seems to me that different forces just make it up as they go along to suit them
I have had vacant slots on my FAC for the full 5 years the certificate ran. I recently renewed and have the same unfilled slots on my new certificate. I also got a shot gun certificate for the first time. When I spoke to my enquiry officer his comments were you have several vacant slots and you now have a shot gun certificate just keep an eye on how many you acquire.
Christel
Site Admin

#13 Post by Christel »

What is happening nationwide is that Lincolnshire is being held as best in class, so eventually whatever Lincolnshire does so will the rest of the forces do.
Rockhopper

#14 Post by Rockhopper »

I've had an empty .308 slot for a couple of years now. The FEO said if it was still empty at the next renewal then they would take it away! So that's seven years. Derbyshire by the way.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

Swallowtail wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:08 pm No, the home visit was the usual one before grant. That was ages ago, the variation was via the portal and emails. I also had a 5min visit for A&K explosives.
As for friendly chat with FEO, I have been told officially that the 6 month thingy comes as a mandate from the very top...
But was that from the 'top of the food chain's' mouth, or the FEO who was making up rules as he/she goes along? When challenged officious people often get defensive and the first thing they do is claim they have the backing of their manager/boss when they haven't even checked. Its a classic 'scare tactic'.

I'd persist in getting the FLDs managers name/details and have a calm and sensible conversation with them*. If they do back the FEOs demand then ask for the reason and guidance/legislative basis for the decision in writing and take it from there. A persons financial power (i.e. the ability to buy a load of guns in one go/within a short period of time), does not give/take away their 'good reason' to be in possession of a firearm.

*N.B. If you're the sort of person that gets wound up easily and/or doesn't deal well with officialdom, get a representative to lead the conversation, whether thats a friend or a shooting org rep.

Its been mentioned that Lincolnshire is being considered as the gold standard of FLDs at the moment, I remember when Durham was the same, shortly after the switch to using civvies, and we all saw how that turned out.....

I've not heard of anyone having to get as serious as taking the matter to court, but I have heard of several people getting a 'stay of execution' or just told they'll need to have them bought within the life of their current FAC after a chat with the FLD manager.
DVC
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#16 Post by Mattnall »

Swallowtail wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:08 pm As for friendly chat with FEO, I have been told officially that the 6 month thingy comes as a mandate from the very top...
If they push this and try to take the slots away then challenge it, it is not the law and unreasonable. Was it put down in the conditions on the FAC? I very much doubt it will be put down in writing anywhere.
If you let them get away with made-up the rules then they become the rules.
Join a shooting organisation that will advise and will also talk to the FLD, BASC in the past have been very helpful in this regard for me but that might have changed, ask them first. The NRA could be a good bet too, speak to their legal department.
Send the FLD a polite letter asking for the reasons why they are insisting on this rule and keep the reply, but mention that you are still looking for a suitable rifle in the calibre you want as reason why you haven't bought it yet.

Or play their game - If they insist get a friend to sign on one of their suitable firearms on to your FAC as joint possession and when you do find the one you want do a 1-4-1 without having to sell something, you can do it regularly and swamp their system with free variations before you find the 'right one' - then watch them become more accommodating.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Christel
Site Admin

#17 Post by Christel »

Blackstuff,

This
ask for the reason and guidance/legislative basis for the decision in writing
will be met with the usual blurb which is that, that is the way it is and if you do not like it then no certificate, no slot, no to whatever is being discussed.

Been there done that.

BASC and the GTA has both told me that Lincolnshire firearms department will not enter into discussions with them.

I have many times (as I see it with customers) asked for paper copies of renewal forms - it is strictly denied as anyone can use the online portal (they say), if not you then your grand child can.

Now, what is wrong with that picture?
walesdave

#18 Post by walesdave »

When I had an 'issue' with the head FEO in my area and he claimed he was enforcing 'force policy' I just went above the force and made a complaint to out local P&CC.
Didn't get much joy from the P&CC as he sent the complaint back to the force head FEO to deal with but things were then a lot more 'polite' and we ended up with a compromise that was (sort of) acceptable.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

Christel wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:57 am Blackstuff,

This
ask for the reason and guidance/legislative basis for the decision in writing
will be met with the usual blurb which is that, that is the way it is and if you do not like it then no certificate, no slot, no to whatever is being discussed.

Been there done that.

BASC and the GTA has both told me that Lincolnshire firearms department will not enter into discussions with them.

I have many times (as I see it with customers) asked for paper copies of renewal forms - it is strictly denied as anyone can use the online portal (they say), if not you then your grand child can.

Now, what is wrong with that picture?
Durham got like that for a while and then there was a shift when a new FLD manager came in, who then proved to be a disaster (being the person at the wheel in the lead up and when the Horden shooting occurred), after that they seem to have pulled the stick out of their backside. I hope it doesn't take an incident like that to wake Lincs up.

If I knew I was dealing with people as bad as you say I'd record all the phone calls to them and let them know I was doing so and offer them the option of doing things in writing if they 'preferred'. Failing to agree with either would be a good leverage point if it came to going to court/IPCC etc.
walesdave wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:30 am When I had an 'issue' with the head FEO in my area and he claimed he was enforcing 'force policy' I just went above the force and made a complaint to out local P&CC.
Didn't get much joy from the P&CC as he sent the complaint back to the force head FEO to deal with but things were then a lot more 'polite' and we ended up with a compromise that was (sort of) acceptable.
That seems to be the way to do things these days, unfortunately.
DVC
Christel
Site Admin

#20 Post by Christel »

Blackstuff, I have heard from numerous sources that there is a problem at higher level here in Lincolnshire regarding gun ownership, eg it should be reduced and not allowed in many cases.

Just for the record I am also aware that shooting forums are being monitored however I am not posting anything I have not already said in person at one time or another to various people within the firearms department at meetings so nothing new here.