Cambridgeshire Variations

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Paul101
Home club or Range: Kings Lynn & St. Michael's R&P club + The Grove

Cambridgeshire Variations

#1 Post by Paul101 »

Has anyone recently had a variation done by Cambridgeshire Police, how long did it take?
Thank you

I've seen something I like and need a calibre change, I can put down a deposit , but it's how long will they hold it. Maybe a bigger deposit will help
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Cambridgeshire Variations

#2 Post by Christel »

A deposit for a non-existing slot is unlawful.
Polchraine

#3 Post by Polchraine »

Christel wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:12 am A deposit for a non-existing slot is unlawful.

WHY?

I have heard this many times before however no-one can tell me why.

A deposit can be considered an "intent to purchase subject to conditions being met". These can be: the purchaser gets a suitable slot on their FAC; the seller agrees not to sell to anyone else for a specific time; &c.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
RJ156

#4 Post by RJ156 »

So I just had an interesting interaction with an RFD.

I have arranged to buy a rifle from an RFD whose gonna arrange transfer for me.

The seller is under the impression (possibly correctly) that he couldn’t take more deposit than 50% of intended purchase price by law. Not that he took that, just £100 to confirm interest whilst cert is checked.

Now I actually have the correct slot atm, but at no point was it mentioned a time period the rifle would be held etc.

OP- if it reassures you at all, Cambridgeshire police is under a lot of pressure from up aboves to clear the backlog of applications, re-Certs and variations. So I can’t see em stringing you along too much
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

I had a 1-4-1 variation done a month or 2 ago... took a couple of weeks..

(It takes a little longer now as it must be done by post...I used to drop the variation off at Hitchingbrooke by hand, but they specifically say not to do that now.)
Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

Polchraine,

Please see attached.
Attachments
Good-Practice-Guide-for-Registered-Firearms-Dealers.pdf
(189.72 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#7 Post by Mattnall »

Polchraine wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:57 am
Christel wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:12 am A deposit for a non-existing slot is unlawful.

WHY?

I have heard this many times before however no-one can tell me why.

A deposit can be considered an "intent to purchase subject to conditions being met". These can be: the purchaser gets a suitable slot on their FAC; the seller agrees not to sell to anyone else for a specific time; &c.

Not sure on the statute or the legal basis but the NPCC's Good Practice for RFDs states:
NPCC - Good Practice Guide for Registered Firearms Dealers wrote: It is illegal to complete a sale (accept full payment) for a firearm, Section 1
component part or accessory or shot gun to a person who cannot produce a
firearm or shot gun certificate authorising them to acquire the firearm etc. You
may only take a deposit on a purchase prior to sight of the relevant certificate
giving authority to purchase the firearm
Failure to follow 'good practice' isn't a good thing to be accused of in any business but especially for firearms dealers.
I have had it explained to me that a deposit against purchase infers a legal right to ownership of sorts (or something like that, imagine legal speak in court). Better to take a refundable payment to not sell to anyone else for a period of time.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

Christel wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:25 am Polchraine,

Please see attached.
Beat me to it. :good:
I spent too much time trying to find a legal reference. troutslapping
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

Regardless of law...as Mattnall mentioned, not a good thing to be accused of not following good practice, there is always a renewal which may not be successful.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

This has been discussed at great length previously so I refer members to that as to the why.

It comes down to a legal interpretation of the law and has been agreed by the HO, Police, BASC and the GTA as being illegal.

If you disagree as to the legality then you would ned to challenge it in the courts.

If any one requires further "why" then take it up with the bodies mentioned above, it is their interpretation.

Arguing the toss here will do nothing to change the current legal opinion on it being illegal.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/