New statutory guidance

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: New statutory guidance

#11 Post by Christel »

Shooters are up against a massive change in collective approach to our sport. We are effectively being governed by guidelines based on the 1958 Act so open to opinions.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#12 Post by bradaz11 »

good to know warrants don't apply to us...
Unannounced visits

4.7 In the case of certificate holders, the police should undertake an unannounced visit or inspection where it is judged necessary to do so, based on specific intelligence in light of a particular threat, or risk of harm. It is not expected that the police will undertake unannounced visits or inspections at an unsocial hour unless there is a justified and specific requirement to do so on the grounds of crime prevention or public safety concerns, and the police judge that this action is both justified and proportionate.

4.8 A power of entry, subject to warrant, is available to the police. While this is an important power, it will not be necessary in all cases where an inspection or home visit is required. It is expected that responsible certificate holders will co-operate with reasonable requests to inspect security arrangements or other aspects of suitability, and failure to do so may be taken into account when police consider suitability to possess the firearms. To mitigate any misunderstanding on the part of the certificate holder, the police should provide a clear and reasoned explanation to the certificate holder at the time of the visit.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

I just can’t be bothered anymore. I’ve been shooting since I was 8 years old. I’ve served my Country for 35 years and in this time always owned guns and actually had some issued by the same “governments” that are determined to take it all away. And the last straw was because some little no mark who had issues with his mother and couldn’t get laid. And I’m compared to that?!

No, fock it. I seriously can’t be bothered. I have a renewal in eight months time and after just going through what could be my final government security vetting, I’m not going to be scrutinised anymore for the sake of being seen to do the right thing.

Utter conts…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Christel
Site Admin

#14 Post by Christel »

Utter conts indeed...awesome spelling LOL

I hate to give up...however I have been thinking something along the same lines when my renewal is up. Only thing is that I live with Ovenpaa so won't affect me too much. Just that I like you, Sim G simply can't be bothered, especially when all of this is based on NOTHING and the culprit was basically a looser and the blame should lie squarely on the shoulders of the local firearms department. According to Wiki Devon and Cornwall Police have not identified a motive. Really!?
Graham M

#15 Post by Graham M »

I'm 70 years old and I'll be damned if I am going to just surrender. We knew that the real people responsible were going to walk away smelling of roses and we knew that they would put the blame on us. It happened after Hungerford when the police didn't listen to concerns about Michael Ryan, and when that piece of s*** Hamilton went on his murderous rampage, the police, the media and the labour party joined together to crucify us. And once again after the firearms dept' at Devon & Cornwall screwed up with Jake (girls don't like me) Davison, they turn everything on its head and blame us again.
No, I will continue as long as I can walk around and even if I start needing help getting down to shoot I will try to carry on.

non illegitimi carborundum
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

Pippin89 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:29 am
Blackstuff wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:53 am Is there any info the GMC link that states that a GP should be giving their professional opinion on any relevant conditions, and not their personal opinion on firearms (i.e. remove that ridiculously named 'conscientious objector' clause)?
To be honest, although its a pain when a doctor is a 'conscientious objector', I think I would rather someone like that was not involved in my firearms application!
My doctor when I got my grant was a shooter so was really good about it all. Sadly he retired and my new doctor is an objector. I would rather go through the faff of dealing with a third party than let an objector get the opportunity to get my guns taken away!
I'd rather someone that seemingly can't control their own prejudices and misconceptions isn't involved in providing health care for anyone nevermind my FAC application!!
DVC
Graham M

#17 Post by Graham M »

We had a young (ish) Iranian doctor come into our practice around five years ago. She was absolutely brilliant sorting out a prostate problem for me. She asked me about other age related illness and what my interests were and I told her about my shooting. She was really interested and even said she wouldn't mind having a go at clay shooting.
She left for pastures new a couple of months ago.
I know I have a marker on my records and I don't think I will have a problem as long as my current doctors are in situ. but who knows what the future holds
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.