Doesn't the BBC have ANY firearm experts?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
walesdave

Doesn't the BBC have ANY firearm experts?

#1 Post by walesdave »

If you fancy a laugh, have a watch of 'Shetland' on the Beeb at the moment: Episode 1.

I quite enjoyed the rest of the programme but my wife had to stop me laughing (and trying to explain why) at the 100% complete garbage the 'coroner' came out with during an autopsy.

Based on a single deformed copper jacketed bullet (that had no rifling as far as I could tell) she declared within seconds:
- It came from a WW2 era Walther P38
- It uses rare 9mm ammunition that is hard to find
- 9mm ammunition could be made 'under ground' with the bullets being made by a skilled machinist (turning 9mm bullets on a lathe maybe?

And then they went on about a few things as if the handgun ban had never happened; 'Lets check the 'local gun register for any P38's'
lol
gashtyke

Re: Doesn't the BBC have ANY firearm experts?

#2 Post by gashtyke »

Yes, of course. But you are supposed to suspend belief. Just like 'Midsomer Murders'.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by Pete »

It happens all the time, and this lack of attention to detail does often spoil an otherwise good TV yarn for me.
Cinema is often better in this respect......bigger budgets?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#4 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Watched a program the other day shown a Sten Mk2 with a Nato 7.62x51 ball ammo box ?
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#5 Post by channel12 »

Probably yes but the expert's advice will be ignored by a director if it doesn't fit his creative vision or the plot.
Any criticism of the production will be answered by saying they consulted with an expert.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

Fact is, to the completely uninitiated reading the above in a script probably sounds very authoritative so why would you then question it? A little bit of research, fit the plot, job’s a good ‘un.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king…

Just look at some of the s*** that’s peddled around the forums by people who actually own and shoot real guns!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
walesdave

#7 Post by walesdave »

Sim G wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:30 pm Just look at some of the s*** that’s peddled around the forums by people who actually own and shoot real guns!!!
lol lol lol I guess you've read some of my previous posts lol lol lol

One that popped into my head was an old episode of CSI (the original one) where one of the CSIs 'examined' a .22rf bullet and proclaimed it had been fired from a rifle with a sawn-off barrel - all this from a deformed bit of lead that had just been dug out of a corpse!

...and let's not start on full-bore rifles and pistols that sound like they are being fired in the vacuum of space purely by screwing a 3inch bit of tubing onto the barrel and calling it a 'silencer'. wallhead
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

Same as pulling out a recovered bullet and declaring it 9mm, not 38/³⁵⁷ etc.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#9 Post by channel12 »

They also probably have historical advisors.

There was a recent film which I didn't watch where the basis of the story was the main character used his bus pass to travel from the North of Scotland to Cornwall. We bus pass holders recognise that's total rubbish, trust me I've tried my English bus pass in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and it doesn't work !
Graham M

#10 Post by Graham M »

Watched an episode of Inspector George Gently, and one of the scenes was set in a church where the baddy took a shot with a "Silenced" centrefire rifle. Looked like a sporterized .303 or similar.
The bad guy was up high in the church and fired the rifle which was silenced to a point where it was quieter than an air rifle and the choir a few yards away were totally unaware of the shot.
Even the bullet travelling at supersonic speed and hitting one of the pillars wasn't heard, even though a centrefire bullet hitting a stone wall inside a church would have sounded like a bomb going off.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.