Doesn't the BBC have ANY firearm experts?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Doesn't the BBC have ANY firearm experts?

#11 Post by 1066 »

Graham M wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:30 pm Watched an episode of Inspector George Gently, and one of the scenes was set in a church where the baddy took a shot with a "Silenced" centrefire rifle. Looked like a sporterized .303 or similar.
The bad guy was up high in the church and fired the rifle which was silenced to a point where it was quieter than an air rifle and the choir a few yards away were totally unaware of the shot.
Even the bullet travelling at supersonic speed and hitting one of the pillars wasn't heard, even though a centrefire bullet hitting a stone wall inside a church would have sounded like a bomb going off.
Wasn't a De Lisle by any chance was it?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
etonwick
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#12 Post by etonwick »

I'm afraid the BBC has no experts of any kind. Unfortunately, experts are too well informed and have an inconvenient habit of speaking the truth or using facts.

Just saying.
Cheers

etonwick

"A buck in books saves a grand in stupid!" - Mark Novak, Gunsmith.
Chapuis

#13 Post by Chapuis »

walesdave wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:47 pm If you fancy a laugh, have a watch of 'Shetland' on the Beeb at the moment: Episode 1.

I quite enjoyed the rest of the programme but my wife had to stop me laughing (and trying to explain why) at the 100% complete garbage the 'coroner' came out with during an autopsy.

Based on a single deformed copper jacketed bullet (that had no rifling as far as I could tell) she declared within seconds:
- It came from a WW2 era Walther P38
- It uses rare 9mm ammunition that is hard to find
- 9mm ammunition could be made 'under ground' with the bullets being made by a skilled machinist (turning 9mm bullets on a lathe maybe?

And then they went on about a few things as if the handgun ban had never happened; 'Lets check the 'local gun register for any P38's'
lol
Yes I saw that too though to be perfectly honest I wasn't really paying attention as I was reading. My wife asked me "is that true, didn't you once have a P38".
My reply was "yes I had a P38 and no that's absolute crap".

As for 9mm being rare, what planet are these script writers living on, and why would a skilled machinist turn a 9mm bullet when it's so easy to cast one?
Graham M

#14 Post by Graham M »

1066 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:56 am Wasn't a De Lisle by any chance was it?
Can't remember, it was a while ago and I could never make it out.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Chapuis

#15 Post by Chapuis »

I can't remember the actual scene from George Gently in the cathedral but I do recall a takedown version of a .30 carbine being used in one episode and a Parker Hale or possibly a BSA sporting rifle (1200 safari style stock, they both used the same Italian supplier) being used in another episode. In fact I seem to remember that it was the sporting rifle that was used to kill George on the beach in the final episode.
Graham M

#16 Post by Graham M »

Could well be a Monarch or Majestic or similar. Loved the series but when you think of the damage a rifle bullet does it makes you smile to see how it took three shots to kill him.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#17 Post by Airbrush »

Their go to ‘expert’ is Yardley, he was on Radio 2 Thursday.
Graham M

#18 Post by Graham M »

Airbrush wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:32 am Their go to ‘expert’ is Yardley, he was on Radio 2 Thursday.
Ah Michael Yardley, the chap who wants guns that he doesn't like banned. bangbang
Sim G
Past Supporter

#19 Post by Sim G »

Airbrush wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:32 am Their go to throbber is Yardley, he was on Radio 2 Thursday.
FIFY!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
walesdave

#20 Post by walesdave »

Airbrush wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:32 am Their go to ‘expert’ is Yardley, he was on Radio 2 Thursday.
I was enjoying this thread, and then you mentioned the tw'i't who shall not be named :squirrel: