Safe shooters cards.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Safe shooters cards.

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

Sounds like a pretty ridiculous situation. The card is issued to the person and the person shows they are competent with each type of firearm, how could you know what you're doing with a gallery rifle at one club but not at another? wtf

Its a bit like saying you need a separate driving license for each County kukkuk
DVC
rox

#12 Post by rox »

Alpha1 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:10 amI just wondered if there was a valid reason that I need to have one for each Club
No, there is no valid reason as far as the Safe Shooter System goes; either they are making-up their own additional restrictions and piggy-backing them onto the SCC system, or they just don't understand it. It's a bit like saying that you must have a driving license issued in Yorkshire in order to drive in Yorkshire*. If they think that their certification process is so much better than everyone else's perhaps they should make their own Gold Star Special Super-Safe Shooter Certification Card (GSSSSSCC**) for the avoidance of confusion.

The certification section of the Safe Shooter System says this:

"From 1st January 2009, each civilian shooting on an MoD range is to carry a certificate of safety and competence signed by the chairman of a club of which he is a member and which is affiliated to the NRA, stating that he is safe and competent to use the type(s) of firearm concerned. "

It does NOT say: "signed by the chairman of THE club with which he is shooting at the time".

*While I jest about the GSSSSSCC, I understand that there may be local practices, customs, procedures and processes related to the specifics of a particular range or other factors that warrant specific training or familiarisation, and I respect the rights of any club to create whatever rules they want, no matter how dumb or how much confusion it may cause.

** Blackstuff snap!

mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#13 Post by mag41uk »

Sim G wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:52 am What if the club ceases that discipline? My main club has dropped Target Shotgun because of Landmarc’s ridiculous attitude and banning it at Lydd and Hythe. My club won’t include it on my SCC now. Thankfully, my other club will…
What if you want to shoot target shotgun at Bisley eg? Club booking?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Sim G »

Exactly Tony. But, I can’t find a definitive answer.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
rox

#15 Post by rox »

Sim G wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:09 am Exactly Tony. But, I can’t find a definitive answer.
What's the confusion? If you hold a valid SCC with that discipline on it, you can do it, if not you can't (ignoring one-to-one supervision provisions that may apply etc).
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

So a club that once approved your competence, cannot include that category on the new SCC should the club cease to conduct that discipline?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#17 Post by hitchphil »

As the Sec & Police Liaison of of 2x Clubs -

As others say above you need both RCO & SCC.

If you are an NRA member the club issued cards are free so you might have different ones because of different disciplines at each club.
If you are a non NRA member you pay ~£10 to get one - an issue fee, also called a capitation fee. The issue there is do you need to pay that for each club!?

Our club recognises an SCC issued by any NRA affiliated club (NSRA ones if any? dont count).

The ball ache for one of my clubs is my Uni club, they start shooting in Oct/Nov & finish ~ May-June- so the cards only last 2-3months in 1st term & 3-5 in 2nd/3rd terms & they may mot return the following Oct if they graduate or are on 1-2y post grad courses or are foreign student.

Many clubs make up extra & at times obtuse rules & sometimes based on odd interpretations of things, why I have asked NRA to generate a briefing paper even a Club Officers course (needed for Uni clubs because of their committees continual turnover) that might dispel a few myths & avoid creating extra unnecessary rules. e.g. you dont need to get referees to a membership application cleared by police to be referees! & you should get their permission to use their data for that purpose first.

One problem is when an FLO asked one club to do something they then use that to ask the rest, so you end up with local rules vs national ones being applied. - e.g. there is no requirement for a club to account for every single round bought vs shot, sold, scrapped, misfire etc but I know clubs that have been 'required' to do this on renewal by their FLO who then ask other clubs to do the same!
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?