Safe shooters cards.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Safe shooters cards.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

A question for you know-legible chaps. Well a couple actually.
Safe shooters cards I believe if its issued by the NRA its valid on any MOD range or Bisley.
If you are a qualified RCO do you still need a safe shooters card for a MOD range or Bisley.
If you are a Club member and hold a valid safe shooters card issued by the club is it only valid for that Clubs full bore MOD shoots.
If you are a member of more than one Club do you need a separate safe shooters card for each Clubs MOD shoot.
(MOD = Ministry of defence) = (Lanmarc)
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Safe shooters cards.

#2 Post by 20series »

If think I am correct in saying that, If you have an NRA RCO qualification then you don't need a separate SSC, and a SSC is valid for any MOD range as long as the discipline you're shooting is listed.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by IainWR »

20series wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:55 am If think I am correct in saying that, If you have an NRA RCO qualification then you don't need a separate SSC, and a SSC is valid for any MOD range as long as the discipline you're shooting is listed.
You do need both cards, but the RCO qual authorises issue of the other one. And just being pedantic for a moment, it's a Shooter's Certification Card, SCC.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

Alpha1 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:08 am If you are a member of more than one Club do you need a separate safe shooters card for each Clubs MOD shoot.
No you only need one card, as long as the discipline you want to shoot is listed.
rox

#5 Post by rox »

IainWR wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:46 amAnd just being pedantic for a moment, it's a Shooter's Certification Card, SCC.

Continuing in the spirit of pedantry:

(Lanmarc)[sic] != MOD

Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

You need both. I remember being told on my RCO course that the qual negated the requirement, but then a couple of years later was told by the NRA that you do. Something along the lines of “you might know the theory, so can observe and supervise, but can you do the practical?”

We thought it was bollox, but as we predominantly shoot on MoD ranges, there is no choice.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#7 Post by TattooedGun »

As above, you still require an SCC if you have an RCO card, ridiculous, but true.

You only need 1 SCC card regardless of the number of clubs - if one club doesn't do the discipline of another club, you may need 2 to cover all the disciplines you shoot across those clubs.

I've heard some clubs say that they won't let you shoot with another clubs SCC, but if the discipline is there, there's no logical reason you'd need another on a per club basis.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#8 Post by mag41uk »

The SCC is issued to the individual on satisfactory assessment(s) on type of firearm(s).
It shouldnt matter how many clubs you belong to.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

What if the club ceases that discipline? My main club has dropped Target Shotgun because of Landmarc’s ridiculous attitude and banning it at Lydd and Hythe. My club won’t include it on my SCC now. Thankfully, my other club will…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

The reason I ask is:

I am a member of Club 1 (My main Club) and hold a Shooter's Certification Card, (SCC) issued by the Club. I am an RCO and have been for a number of years and I regularly RCO there MOD ranges.

I am a member of Club 2. I did my six month probation and got signed off became a full member and was issued with a Shooter's Certification Card, SCC. I occasionally RCO there MOD ranges.
Club 2 does not accept the Shooter's Certification Card, (SCC) I have for Club 1 there view is you need a card issued by them to shoot on there MOD shoots. They also go to Bisley on a regular basis and insist you have to have a Shooter's Certification Card, SCC issued by them.
Its not an issue as I have the cards for both but I just wondered if there was a valid reason that I need to have one for each Club. Club 1 my main Club has more entitlement than the one for Club 2. ?