FAC renewal time period

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: FAC renewal time period

#11 Post by dodgyrog »

Where did you get that from? Not in the HO Guidelines that I can see
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Chapuis

#12 Post by Chapuis »

Christel wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:25 pm Don't forget that a Sec7 does not give you the ability to cross county lines.
I'm sure that isn't correct otherwise what you would be saying is that permits and presumably also certificates would only be valid for the force area in which they were issued.

I think you have confused this with shooters who in the past have been reluctant to travel outside their own issuing force area because they didn't have the actual certificate in their possession it perhaps being away for renewal or variation.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Blackstuff »

Christel wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:25 pm Don't forget that a Sec7 does not give you the ability to cross county lines.
Mine certainly didn't have that restriction on it
DVC
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#14 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Update on my renewal application, I emailed firearms Licensing to inform them that due to the delay in obtaining my new FAC i was having problems in obtaining licensable
materials to continue with my chosen sport, and also could not sell anything as without a certificate I could not prove ownership.
G.M.P returned my old certificate that runs out December !!! well at least I can now purchase supplies.
Christel
Site Admin

#15 Post by Christel »

Contact your local firearms departments and ask. Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire, Lincolnshire, Humberside will not allow travel across the county border on a Sec7.

The only reason you would be allowed to do so is to dispose of a firearm.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#16 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Its not a section 7 Its my original fac that i sent in with my application.
Christel
Site Admin

#17 Post by Christel »

Mauserbill wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:44 am Hello
Its not a section 7 Its my original fac that i sent in with my application.
I know, I was replying to the two chaps who were commenting on the Sec7 and crossing county lines.
James84

#18 Post by James84 »

Hampshire was 6 weeks from submission to receipt in Dec 2020. My dad just had his renewed with Hampshire and it took around 5 weeks. Variations are a different story.... Hampshire used to be ~3-6 months, then they got it down to a matter of weeks (I sent in a variation on a Friday and had it back the following Thursday on one occasion) and my latest variation took nearly 4 months. I believe that with Covid and staffing issues, they are focussing on renewals over everything else.
Chapuis

#19 Post by Chapuis »

Christel wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:28 am Contact your local firearms departments and ask. Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire, Lincolnshire, Humberside will not allow travel across the county border on a Sec7.

The only reason you would be allowed to do so is to dispose of a firearm.
How did they come to that decision?
Did they mention what section of the firearms act restricts movement with a firearm held on a Sec 7 ?

My local force obviously held a different view on the matter when my FAC was in for renewal in the past and I wanted to attend competitions at the opposite side of the country and was requesting that they please hurry up my overdue renewal or issue a section 7 permit. They resisted issuing a section 7 but instead issued a letter stating that I had a valid FAC and said that should cover me.
Christel
Site Admin

#20 Post by Christel »

I would not trust a letter.