FAC renewal time period

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Chapuis

Re: FAC renewal time period

#21 Post by Chapuis »

Christel wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:05 pm I would not trust a letter.
Nor would I, and I told them that at the time.
Chapuis

#22 Post by Chapuis »

Chapuis wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:35 pm
Christel wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:05 pm I would not trust a letter.
Nor would I, and I told them that at the time.
The thought has just crossed my mind that when they told you that a Section 7 was not valid outside of that force area, were they thinking about it in relation to your RFD business. Perhaps they had become confused, it's not exactly unknown!
Christel
Site Admin

#23 Post by Christel »

No, as a holder.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#24 Post by dodgyrog »

After 11 1/2 months of waiting for my FAC renewal I've got BASC on the case!
Watch this space for further developments.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Blackstuff

#25 Post by Blackstuff »

My situation was similar to Chapuis', I was in the middle of the PSG season with mine and was concerned about being able to use my guns for national comps so rang them and they said it was all fine. Sounds like another FLD postcode lottery/FEOs making things up as they go 8-)
DVC
Christel
Site Admin

#26 Post by Christel »

Blackstuff wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:57 am My situation was similar to Chapuis', I was in the middle of the PSG season with mine and was concerned about being able to use my guns for national comps so rang them and they said it was all fine. Sounds like another FLD postcode lottery/FEOs making things up as they go 8-)
The problem in that situation is that if you cross into Lincolnshire on a Sec7 and get stopped with guns in the car and the only paper you have is a Sec7, you may end up in trouble.
PeterN

#27 Post by PeterN »

Unless it says in the legislation that a Section 7 is valid only in the Police Force area that issued it, then surely it is valid UK mainland wide the same as an FAC? If Lincolnshire wanted to charge someone for having firearms in Lincolnshire with a valid Section 7 issued by another force, what would be the offence they charged you with? Of course, if Police Forces did their job properly and renewed FACs in a timely manner, the Section 7 issue would not arise.
Regards
Peter.
Blackstuff

#28 Post by Blackstuff »

Christel wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:34 pm
Blackstuff wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:57 am My situation was similar to Chapuis', I was in the middle of the PSG season with mine and was concerned about being able to use my guns for national comps so rang them and they said it was all fine. Sounds like another FLD postcode lottery/FEOs making things up as they go 8-)
The problem in that situation is that if you cross into Lincolnshire on a Sec7 and get stopped with guns in the car and the only paper you have is a Sec7, you may end up in trouble.
I had 2 lucky escapes then! :squirrel: :run:
DVC
Graham M

#29 Post by Graham M »

dodgyrog wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:51 am After 11 1/2 months of waiting for my FAC renewal I've got BASC on the case!
Watch this space for further developments.
That reminded me of when my son sent in his renewal with West Mercia. This was some 20 years ago before all this current nonsense started and his ticket was long overdue. 11 months and nothing, so we decided enough was enough and we phoned them up to see what the hell was going on. Spoke to a rather unpleasant female who passed me onto someone in firearms, and after a long wait it transpired that they had lost his renewal application and had then gone on to forget that he hadn't renewed it. He had been without his FAC for 7 months and West Mercia were totally oblivious. They told me to get another form in straight away and it came back within a couple of weeks.
Don't know who the miserable cow on the phone was kukkuk because in those days they were pretty good.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#30 Post by Lever357 »

I'm in Northumbria, renewals due 23 Nov, received papers in August, posted 27 Aug and received by police 28 Aug and just received 8 week extension letter this morning.

My friend was issued a section 7 last year and that stated it gave him permission to hold the firearms but not to purchase ammunition.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!