FAC renewal time period

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

FAC renewal time period

#1 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
I was requested by G.M.P to submit my FAC for renewal in August as mine expires 2nd December, I eturned a fully documented response and it has now been 10 weeks, so decided to give them a call, they have not yet started on December renewals and so have extended my certificate until the end of January 2022.
Any body else having similar delays ?
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: FAC renewal time period

#2 Post by FredB »

My FAC was due to expire in July. Knowing that West Midlands were under resourced, I submitted my forms in April. In July, I was given a letter extending my FAC for a period. When this expired, I was given a temporary Firearms Permit. When this was about to expire, I was told that I would be contacted for a phone renewal within a week. Nothing happened and I contacted the NRA for help. I was immediately given another temporary firearms permit. The WMP/Staffordshire firearms staff are extremely friendly and helpful on the phone, but they appear to have no resources. Correct allocation of resources is a measure of management competance.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#3 Post by phaedra1106 »

Lucky you don't live in Durham, Dodgyrog has been waiting for a year!

Mine was submitted around the same time and took about 6 months, other club members are still reporting 6 months plus.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#4 Post by Mattnall »

They have to extend them now if the application was sent in time. The PCA2017 amended the FA1968 and it follows you automatically get an 8 week extension if the FAC renewal was submitted at least 8 weeks before expiry. If they still need more time the police should issue Section 7 permits allowing possession of firearms and ammunition as per the (expired) FAC.

We are not to be penalised because of their incompetence, or lack of staff, covid19, or whatever other reason they are claiming. To be fair, it seems that it is only a few counties that are failing to do renewals in a timely manner. Not much consolation for those affected though.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#5 Post by phaedra1106 »

But shooters are being penalised, a section 7 does not permit the holder to purchase ammunition (or firearms)

Unless you reload or are a member of a club where you can buy it (to be used there and not taken off the range) you're out of luck :(

"1. In the event that the application for renewal cannot be determined before the extended certificate expires, police forces may continue to issue a temporary permit to the applicant under section 7 of the Firearms Act 1968 authorising their continued possession of firearms and ammunition to which the expired certificate applies. Section 7 permits issued in these circumstances can allow for the continued possession of the firearms and ammunition that are specified on the applicant’s expired certificate but not the acquisition or purchase of additional firearms or ammunition."
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

My renewal with Thames Valley was due end of March this year, and they had told me to submit the renewal app at least 4-5 months prior to renewal date because of Covid etc.,etc.
So I submitted the app at the beginning of November last year, and I had the new certs back within 3 weeks of the app going in :good:
walesdave

#7 Post by walesdave »

Got to say, for all my moaning about them, Gwent are pretty quick at turning around paperwork. I hope the impending merger with South Wales FLOs doesn't change what was a reasonably well resourced and run department.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

I am Licenced by Cleveland who are brilliant.
I am a Club Secretary and occasionally deal with Durham as some of my members are licenced by them. One of my members is in the process of applying for his fire arm certificate I think its a renewal. Because he is now a full member of the Club he has asked for instance to acquire a .303 and 7.62/.308 they contacted me to confirm he is a member then again about a week later to ask if he would be able to use these calibers with our Club and yes he can.
This has been over a two week period so I am assuming they are processing the issue of his certificate and it being granted is imminent.(Or am I just being naive.) I knew he was applying so I am assuming all of this is happening in approx six weeks. Any way we will see.
I will let you know how long it actually takes.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

Mine was due in Feb this year, it went in, in October last year and was finally issued in June this year so 8 months. ONce the 8 week date had gone passed the original expiry I got a S7 with a year long date on it which was disconcerting to say the least! At least the new certificate has the longer expiry date on and not the original February date so I haven't lost time on it because of the delay.
DVC
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

Don't forget that a Sec7 does not give you the ability to cross county lines.