Surrey Firearms Licensing Team

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Surrey Firearms Licensing Team

#11 Post by Pippin89 »

Triffid wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:01 pm You must get your medical reference lined up in advance of your FAC application. If they don't arrive at about the same time, the Police will chuck it out.

Triffid
This is the weakest part of the whole application process in my opinion. When I applied, my Doctor was a shooter and happy to sign it for free so Police contacted him and he sent it back to them.... easy. He has now retired and with my missus applying, new doctor won't sign them. Had to go to Medcert who say on their website they send them directly to some forces but not others and Surrey Sussex wasnt on there, indicating they would send it to us and we send it on to Police. Then get an email from them saying "Oh we've sent it to your police force..." We were holding out to receive it before putting in the application to the police so then had to rush through the application really quickly.
Was an absolute ball ache.

Why can't the online application get held under a reference number, you then get your medical information under the same reference number, and when all is complete the whole lot gets sent to the FEO in one lot. Either automatically or with applicant clicking a button.... No throwing out of applications and no struggling to make the two parts meet in the middle when one of them can take anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks...
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#12 Post by Triffid »

Yes, I agree that it's a weak part in the system and depends on your GP/ medical referee telling you when they submit the letter.
Surrey Police's website says "Please note: we can't accept a medical record printout and you'll need to send the completed GP form to us within 10 working days of your application. Otherwise it will be rejected." . So you do have a little grace period here. I think it's probably easier dealing with a external referee (like Medcert) as the comms with them are more straightforward than contacting my GP surgery.
Triffid
jmc67
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#13 Post by jmc67 »

Quick update.

After over 5 weeks (and a lot of hassling), I got my medical letter back from the doctors. Not ideal, and I will definitely look at something like Medcert next time.

The online submission process with Surrey/Sussex was a bit painful, especially as there is a bug in the software. If you need to go back and change anything the page where you type in the firearms / ammo info just hangs and tells you there is an error when there isn't one. The only solution is to start the process again. Not fun.

Anyway, renewal submission in. Let's see how long it takes.....
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#14 Post by Mauserbill »

Triffid wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:06 pm I've just completed my renewal with the Surrey/Sussex.

Process went smoothly, but mainly because as I've been following various discussions on this forum, I was aware of potential issues with getting my Doctor's reference. So I approached my GP four months in advance of my FAC expiry. This time they said they weren't getting involved in firearms licensing any more (I've been with then since 2000, so this is my fifth FAC renewal with the GP), so I did the FoI request for my medical records (which took them a couple of weeks). I then picked the cheapest internet medical records provider I could find (Dr Ian McKenzie at https://firearmsmedicalreports.co.uk) to provide the actual reference. So when my renewal notification came through 3 months before expiry, I was able to turn it around straight away. My FAC was issue about a fortnight before the old one expired.

My renewal interview was conducted over the phone. I understand from the FEO that Sussex/Surrey are prioritising renewals above grants, with variations coming at the bottom of the pile. So that might explain your delay and JMC's advice is good. But do get your medical certificate lined up in advance.

Triffid
hello
Do you have a relative in firearms licensing ! from what I am seeing on the forum some have been waiting over a year. And the situation doesn't seem to be improving.
Triffid
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Triffid »

Mauserbill wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:23 pm hello
Do you have a relative in firearms licensing ! from what I am seeing on the forum some have been waiting over a year. And the situation doesn't seem to be improving.
No relatives there as far as I know.
In my conversation with my FEO, he told me that they are still in full-on Covid mode, so there are still delays. Renewals are given #1 priority. Grants #2 and Variations go to the bottom of the pile. My renewal got done in about 10 weeks. Another member of my Club got a new Grant, applying in October 2020 and issued in May 2021. And this despite having emigrated into the UK 15 years ago from Sweden and having depression on their medical records from some time ago. Oh yes they also moved from Surrey to Thames Valley 90% of the way through the process. So I don't think there's any particular problem there and haven't heard of the long delays you mention, only anecdotally with Variations.

Triffid
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#16 Post by Pippin89 »

My missus had her interview yesterday. I chatted with the FEO about the back log and apparently its never ending. There are apparently numerous people who have left it too late for renewals too and won't get seen before its due. They just don't have time to fit them in or do anything about it so they will just lose their cert and have to reapply.
Her advice was to renew 3-4 months before its due.
Triffid
Past Supporter

#17 Post by Triffid »

I guess to me applying 3 months before expiry is standard. Surrey send out the reminder letter at that point and I'd expect to get my application in within a week of receiving that. Hence why I got my medical reference sorted out well before even that, getting ducks lined up. It's too important for me to do otherwise. I've always had really good service from the Surrey team, as have all the other members of my club.

Fortunately we now have the statutory guidance that the Police must follow: Section 6 applies.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... istrations

So reminders should be issued 12 weeks/3 months in advance.
Then assuming that the applicant got their application in within a month of the reminder, an existing certificate will be automatically extended for a further 8 weeks after expiry.
If an applicant misses the 8 week window, then a temporary permit may be issued.

There's nothing that I can see about what happens if the Police miss their deadline, but I suspect that a a nice letter to the Chief Constable and the PCC, outlining why they are missing statutory targets might produce results. Or the threat of a JR could prompt matters further.

Triffid
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#18 Post by hitchphil »

NRA, CPSA & NSRA members get 10% off MedCert. The advantage of Medcert is if there are any follow up checks then those are all included. It also makes it what it is - a tick box form (apparently the same a taxi drives have to do?) vs any real medical assessment.

My FLO management also advised that No medical ref was necessary for a club FAC where the holder has an existing FAC in force. So it does not really apply to club FAC holders unless a new holder or a single holding.

Some FLDs have implemented on line forms - they are a pain - any loss of internet you lose the entries to that point, you cant save & come back & they ask you to list everything that you have a page at a time per gun or ammo! which for a club with say 20+ firearms is a total arse & is how errors in serial numbers etc creep in. I competed the pdf 201 form & emailed that in its much easier to use.

Yet to be advised if references are required for a club holding? when there is another FAC holding in place.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

Triffid wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:01 am I guess to me applying 3 months before expiry is standard. Surrey send out the reminder letter at that point and I'd expect to get my application in within a week of receiving that. Hence why I got my medical reference sorted out well before even that, getting ducks lined up. It's too important for me to do otherwise. I've always had really good service from the Surrey team, as have all the other members of my club.

Fortunately we now have the statutory guidance that the Police must follow: Section 6 applies.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... istrations

So reminders should be issued 12 weeks/3 months in advance.
Then assuming that the applicant got their application in within a month of the reminder, an existing certificate will be automatically extended for a further 8 weeks after expiry.
If an applicant misses the 8 week window, then a temporary permit may be issued.

There's nothing that I can see about what happens if the Police miss their deadline, but I suspect that a a nice letter to the Chief Constable and the PCC, outlining why they are missing statutory targets might produce results. Or the threat of a JR could prompt matters further.

Triffid
They issue a S7 permit WHEN they miss the 8 week runover period. I know 2 people that sat on their hands when their renewal info was sent to them and they didn't get it in until less than 8 weeks before the renewal date and they were both informed they're going to have to get their guns into storage as they just didn't have the capacity to issue S7s to them. Their own stupid fault of course but I think you'll have to be very fortunate indeed to get one if you don't get your paperwork in early.
hitchphil wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:36 pm NRA, CPSA & NSRA members get 10% off MedCert. The advantage of Medcert is if there are any follow up checks then those are all included. It also makes it what it is - a tick box form (apparently the same a taxi drives have to do?) vs any real medical assessment.
It was never supposed to be for 99.9% of applicants. Your GP is just supposed to look at your medical history and flag any relevant conditions, the FLD can then ask for proper reports if necessary. Hence why they should be a 5-10mins exercise which should attract a minimal, if anything, charge for most people. Sadly the tiny minority of people who will need proper reports are being used as an excuse to fleece the entire certificated community.
DVC
Chapuis

#20 Post by Chapuis »

hitchphil wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:36 pm NRA, CPSA & NSRA members get 10% off MedCert.

Also the NGO and BASC and possibly BDS too but I'm not sure on that one.